Phoenix Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting! Thanks for posting. I'll be interested to see where it falls into the offerings for that area. Looks like through end of 2019, 6-day itineraries, every one says 'Exuma & Eleuthera Exploration,' and most cost $1,500 (not counting $135 park fee, and of course tips), as you noted an 8 passenger max., and it says "Shark encounters: oceanic whitetips, dusky, lemon, tiger and silky sharks" though I'm thinking unless they add Cat Island area (oceanic white tips) and Tiger Beach (tiger & lemon sharks) itineraries, that might be an optimistic claim?

The Bahamas area seems unique compared to the Caribbean in that it's served by several live-aboards, from a range of companies (i.e.: not all Aggressor Fleet). You've got:

1.) Blackbeards - budget. Around a grand, plus tips, for up to 19 dives. Described as 'camping at sea.' No nitrox option. They don't provide an automatic free dive guide service for every dive.
2.) The Juliet - more expensive, rep. for better accommodations, has nitrox, I've seen posts indicating similar dive count to Blackbeards. I've also read of Lost Island Voyages, but rarely see a review of them.
3.) Bahamas Aggressor - more expensive (over 2 grand) & a lot more dives plus better accomodations vs. Blackbeards, at a price of course; Aggressor Fleet tends to have at least one >30% off near fleet-wide sale/year, which can drop the price well under 2 grand, and if I were booking a Bahamas live-aboard this year, I'd have aimed for that. The Bahamas Aggressor offers Tiger Beach itineraries part of the year, a bit more expensive, but offers a chance at tiger & lemon sharks.
4.) Cat Ppalu - chartered boat singles can sometimes book on.
5.) AquaCat - strongly positive rep., lots of dives (up to 26), most expensive of the ones I listed.

I'm not including whatever op.s focus on Tiger Beach or Cat Island for mainly shark encounters. There may be more.

Where does the Phoenix fall in this competitive market? Where's its niche? How many dives can you get?

Richard.

Has anyone done the Phoenix Liveaboard? Looks to be somewhat new. Not the best location but the price is good and only 8 guests on a catamaran.

Phoenix Liveaboard
I dove with the Phoenix in August of 2018...I can not say enough good about crew and diving on this boat. Is it not Gucci type work but the food is superb, Simon the divemaster is very good. They treated me like an old friend and I will be going out with them again. The owner of the boat is chef and onboard.

Phoenix does a particular dive called the "Wreck" which is one of the most superb dives for fishlife and things to see I have ever done before. I will go back out with them just to do this single dive..

Phoenix does a particular dive called the "Wreck" which is one of the most superb dives for fishlife and things to see I have ever done before. I will go back out with them just to do this single dive..

How many dives per day / total have you done there?

How many dives per day / total have you done there?
I can not give an exact number of the total dives. The boat goes out of Nassau and the first stop is at a location for a quick check out and familiarization. I would guess three dives each day so 15 had plenty so per week. I had plenty but would opt for more on my next trip. Pretty much up to the divers.

While the boat is based out of Nassau I do know they have explored the area around Freeport where there is a dive spot known as Sugar Wreck which is shallow but teeming with marine life and a long dive time. I dove this area with Sea Fever many years ago and there are many sites available.

While the boat is based out of Nassau I do know they have explored the area around Freeport where there is a dive spot known as Sugar Wreck which is shallow but teeming with marine life and a long dive time. I dove this area with Sea Fever many years ago and there are many sites available.

We did a trip with the Sea Fever years ago also but we dived the Exumas and had a great trip; but I have dived the Sugar Wreck with a long gone) LOB called the Crown Islander - it was a nice boat!

I am a far more experienced diver today than I was when Sea Fever took us to Sugar Wreck. I was amazed that there was so much more to the dive than I saw the first time. I thought it would be a disappointment, but it was not. I do not know of any other boats that go there but I am sure there must be some...We snorkeled for a couple fish and found a long unused mooring line and were able to hook up there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom