Phoenix Royal Aqua Master nozzles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pescador775:
I look at vintage gear as just "gear". I realize younger fellows seem somewhat bemused or baffled by some of the old equipment and others have become infatuated with the whole thing. I don't hold either view. I have always used some of this stuff and I never really thought about it until the vintage hoopla. All I can say is "welcome aboard". Ain't it cool.

In some ways, I basically feel the same way. A lot of my gear I have own since the early 70’s and some I still use. The Royal Aqua Master in my avatar is the same in both pictures (the pictures are over 30 years apart). That royal will not be modified. I still have my original Fenzy, but it leaks on the seams.

I basically dive a Phoenix RAM on all my dives but I mix vintage and modern gear. I basically pick what I feel is the best gear of any time period. I don’t particularly care for the excessive use of plastics on some modern gear.

I do dive basically purely vintage during the vintage dive gatherings, like Sand Dog etc. It is cool to preserve the past (especially the skills).

patymeboy:
I have made great sacrafices to remain true to the spirit of vintage diving.
I have rashes on my sholders from an authentic harness.
I had to walk back to shore because i went too deap and couldn't swim up.
I ran out of air a few times because my vintage diving watch was slow and had to be replaced. I tried to take an abalonee and my vulcan knife snaped in two due to metal fatige. Now you wish to introduce modern gages with this adulterous phoenix nozzel.
Well count me out you traitors and heretics of vintage diving. You have embarked upon a
slippery sloap.
Pat Fealy

I totally respect your opinion, but let me clear a minor point. The original intention (and primary purpose) of the Phoenix is to salvage DA Aqua Master since first stage parts for them are becoming extinct. Converting a DA to a Royal Aqua Master guaranties parts for many years into the future (since many Aqua Lung regulators uses the same parts).

I couldn’t economically duplicate the RAM first stage body/ nozzle exactly as the original. I had to design it around the replaceable volcano orifice of the Titan to cut on machining cost (it also adds to its future ease of service). Since it wasn’t going to be original, the addition of HP and then LP ports made a lot of sense since there is a big demand for some of that gear.

When I started diving in 1971, the submersible pressure gauge was already common.

Ouote:
"I have made great sacrafices to remain true to the spirit of vintage diving.
I have rashes on my sholders from an authentic harness.
I had to walk back to shore because i went too deap and couldn't swim up.
I ran out of air a few times because my vintage diving watch was slow and had to be replaced. I tried to take an abalonee and my vulcan knife snaped in two due to metal fatige. Now you wish to introduce modern gages with this adulterous phoenix nozzel.
Well count me out you traitors and heretics of vintage diving. You have embarked upon a
slippery sloap.
Pat Fealy"

Wow!!!! Chill out, it is going to be OK there fella.

Some of us still live with one foot in the modern world where if you go out on a charter, visit a resort your going to have to have a BC, an spg and an octapus. The Phoenix in addition to other things allows you to bring one regulator for a trip--cozumel, cayman, where ever and you can dive it totally vintage from the beach and then connect all the needed equipment for a charter or resort dive--WITHOUT--in any way --defacing or permenantly altering the regulator.

Further, the Phoenix uses, as Luis points out, replaceable orfice, modern Conshelf and Titan internals to not only improve durability but parts availability. Nothing about the Phoenix conversion forces you to use the ports--leave them plugged. Nothing about the Phoenix alters the regulator so the original nozzle can be reinstalled in a few minutes.

As to vintage--well--I am a diver first who still dives using traditional methods and I prefer vintage equipment but --but---there are times when modern gear arrangments are needed--but--BUT--I prefer a double hose regulator. The Phoenix conversion allows me to dive modern gear with double hose. You can support a dry suit, BC, lift bag, octapus, spg.

Furthermore, vintage divers did use spg. I do recall even a few but it is hazzy as I was a child, I am certain I had seen some octapus installed to hookah ports back in the 60s but since my double hose was a Mistral I paid little attention to it since it had no hooka port. In any case, I don't think there is a reason at all to have a melt down over the Phoenix not being vintage---it is and it isn't-- but it certainly allows you to dive from a Florida Keys diver charter using a double hose--BECAUSE--trust me--I have tried and unless you can have a fully finctioning BC, octapus and spg --your not going to dive. I have been told so over and over--point blank--no---freaking way!

You know, most people would not even notice the Phoenix nozzle installed, just because you have LP and HP ports does not mean you have to use them. As to J valves, well, go ahead but at 100 plus feet in low viz I prefer a bit more cushion.

Simply put, vintage stuff aside, the Phoenix conversion allows a diver with a double hose regulator to do anything he could with a modern plastic fantasitc and possibly better.

Nemrod
I actually am known to dive this stuff and a few people here can vouch for that.
NAVED 111

DSCF0153.jpg

Here is another way to have a rig to satisfy REAL WORLD requirements. It uses a Broxton Chuck reproduction USD banjo for the spg (these are vintage and were in use in the 60s) and the octapus is on a three way supplying a 1966 Calypso.

Not speaking of any persons involed in the thread--knowingly---I have encountered a phenomena that first came to my radar about three years ago when I decided to return to double hose regulators. I met a fellow on a trip who had some vintage parts and he did not dive vintage so I aksed him if he might sell the stuff--to me--he said NOOOOOOOOO. He was keeping the "stuff" for an investment. The investment was mostly a few mouthpieces, hoses, diaphrams and seats. Well--guess what----most of that stuff is now available in superior quality brand new and made of improved materials. I wonder sometimes if the resistance to some of this is a result of the fact that some NOS bits squirrled away will become--for a lack of better words--reduced in value.

I want to dive that Oriskany out of Pensecola. it is deep, it will require deco, double tanks, stage bottle and the works to swim through that hanger deck at 160 feet and stay there long enough to make it worthwhile to get a look see. What is more, I want to do it using my Aqua Master. Well, I guess I could just twin up some 72s and make sure that J valve don't get knocked down, I suppose. Of course, the two LDS there have already told me--no freaking way!!!!!!

N
NAVED 111

pescador775:
Now look at it; very surprising how this has taken off from several quarters,...........

I think a very large part of the reason for the renewed interest in vintage diving is due to this "Sea Hunt Era" forum on SCUBABoard. There is a very large number of members who read this stuff and become interested. Since the forum's genesis, the numbers of vintage enthusiasts seem to have grown exponentially with resultant increased capital from profits for vintage parts suppliers to make more new parts, and the circle continues. I believe that the birth of this thread is directly related to the explosion of interest. Let's not forget to thank those here at SCUBABoard who helped to make it possible.

All my thoughts concerning the Phoenix have already been covered by the others.

just kidding. i think that would have used the P nozel if it had been invented.
I find it fun to play the devils advocate to liven up a conversation. I read about a diver who walked to shore in the early days because he purchased some experimental tanks put out by us divers and he couldn't get up and walked to shore. He was so angry that he walked into a nearby US Divers convention and hureled his rig down upon the stage and made a sceene. The article was called "The diver who walked to shore"
I am looking for vintage gear right now. I found a man who makes authentic harnesses ala the fifties and sea hunt. This is no different than flying vintage Aircraft or any other thing like that. It is a way of going back in time and honoring those brave men who pioneared todays diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom