Photo crevice/crack techniques?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fpoole

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On more than several occasions, I've tried to photo a critter deep inside a crevice, hole in the wall, or crack with Dual Strobes and of course housing/trays etc... the smaller the size the better obviously, but does anyone have any "Special" technique that gets fairly good results?

I've tried to bring the strobes down to just above the lens, but that just makes backscatter and almost impossible to get through.

I've tired detaching the strobe, manually holding it out, further away and it improved a little..haven't tried the tri-pod yet, but not sure that would work as it's fairly dark in there..

I've tried having someone shine a dive lite, Hi-intensity? and that seemed to work better.

Anyway, most of the shots are of our Giant Pacific Octopus (GPO) and although my dive buddy sees them all the time, loves to tell me about the ones I MISSED... I always counter by asking if he had a picture of it... heheh...

So I'm having problems trying to "Get the Photo" as proof... (all in good fun here)
So thought I'd see if anyone else had some thoughts...

thanx much...
Photo below is an example..

I have the same problem. My best results have been with my light cannon (HID) and my buddy's light cannon from another angle. That only works if the hole is wide enough.

Yeah, I'm thinking the steady lights pref the HID are probably the best answer...
thanx...

If you use the 3X optical zoom and position the strobe(s) close to the housing, you can get the light into a hole. The trick is not to put the camera in the hole, but to try and take the picture from far enough away that the strobe will penetrate the hole. Backscatter is going to be a problem, but take several shots trying to use the edge of the light cone to light the subject and not the intervening paticulates.

I would suggest you keep yourself a bit away aoutside the hole, than close up with the zoom and keeping the strobe in your hand you put it right outside the edge of the hole 45 degrees .. anyway it's a really hard conditions... never tried by myself

Yeah, It's looking more like the 'zoom in' while staying outside and using the strobe (hand held away) or a powerful dive lite (preferably a HID) and that might work..
heheh...
Now I have to go out and find another one eh???
Bummer... ;-))
thanx much...

Thats a tough one Frank, I had that same problem in the far western side of the Pacific, smaller octopus. The divemaster/guide solved the problem by having the octopus for DINNER (that was his idea)!

Man that was a lot of ink when he pulled it out of its hiding place! I have to admit that it was much easier to get the picture from the frying pan.

LOL... Yeah....
It's one of those pictures that looked good enuf to eat...

Although I usually "Fry'em" with my strobes.. ...Phunk!!!! fried fish... whited out...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom