Photo Editing & Printing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crimson Ghost

Contributor
Reaction score
I would like a suggestion on photo editing software for my underwater shots - I am new to photo editing and I would like to clean up and print some of my last vacation. Some are all too blue and I need to bring the color back type of thing.

Also, can anyone recommend the best printer ? So far in searching I like the HP Photosmart Pro B9180

http://www.pcrush.com/prodspec.asp?itemno=86831&refid=1304

Does anyone use this printer?

Here's a tutorial on UW editing.

http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/116771/319800.html?1184286371

You will need Photoshop Elements which is pretty much a requirement anyway. The best photo printer (IMHO) is at your local Walmart. Why deal with it. They are cheaper, faster and better than what you can do at home. Keep a printer at home for an occasional fast print, let them do the heavy lifting.

I bought an Epson RX580, and I am overwhelmed by the quality of the results. I formerly used the Walmart thing so I decided to do a comparison of the two. I sent a few files off to Walmart, and printed the exact same file at home. This included a 5x7. I felt the Epson result was better quality and far more convenient.

I don't know about the cost comparison because I have no idea how to calculate the cost per print, and I don't feel like going through a complete set of ink cartridges just to figure it out. I guessing, though, that the Walmart option is cheaper.

i would recommend an epson, i have the 4800 which print at 17" wide which might be over kill for you. i have also used the r1800 and the r2400 which have the same color print quality as the 4800 and are great printers though you are going to pay a little more for them they will run forever and will always create a good quality print.

The easiest way to fix images is to shoot in raw and us a raw editing program like adobe light room or aperture and then export to photoshop for some final touches. i recommend aperture if you have a mac. if you only shoot jpg you can still use both aperture and adobe light room. the nice thing about these program is you can adjust white balance after shooting and fix a lot of color hugh problems that are caused by shooting in the water. you can get a trial version of light room from adobe and try it out.

if you can only afford on program let it be adobe photoshop 3 this is a great program it will let you do every thing you need to do and more. one thing that i recommend with any program you get especially photo shop is take a class at a JC or something i was self tot i thought until i took the class i learned a lot form the class more than i have ever learned from trying things.

here are a couple of book that are great and will walk you through every thing you need to know to get started
real world Digital photography by Datrin eismann, sean duggan and tim grey
Photoshop CS3 Bible By Laurie Ulrich-Fuller

I purchased the big Pixma printer (not sure of official model #) and think it prints great quality photos. I have printed 8 x 10's as well as 4 x 6's and they all look great. Unfortunately if I printed all my photos at home I could almost make mortgage payments with the printer catridge costs. If I am looking at printing a lot of shots, I go to Walmart, Blacks or somewhere like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom