Photo / HD video flexibility (camcorder or camera??)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weinerr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for a camera or camcorder that will allow me to take both pictures and HD video. I currently dive with a Sea & Sea 1200HD that allows me to go back and forth between between photo and video with the push of a button. Unfortunately my 1200HD has focusing issues. I need the flexibility to capture a photo of a tiny creature and at a moments notice video a passing whaleshark (as happened to me in the Galapagos). Budget is not an issue as I am willing to pay for the photo/video flexibility, but hoping to keep the entire system including UW housing to <$4000-5000. Since I am a novice photographer I am also open to a non-SLR camera if the video quality to close to that of a camcorder.

Ok not a tech guy but the issue is the camera world is in a bit in flux. New generation of affordable DSLRs that shoot 1080 video, but limitations with not being able to zoom like a video camera and most of their autofocus systems are not on par with standard video cameras. Plus many feel jumping between stills and well white balanced video is slow and clunky.

A lot of compacts including EVIL, 4/3, etc... out there that are very nice but still not on par with DSLRs regarding shutter lag and many only shoot 720HD. Need to look at what housings are out there for specific models. Even Ikelite has stopped developing certain housings, it would seem to see what is on the horizon. Plus any camera/lens that is good at everything will not be great at specific things like macro and wa.

IMHO if you want something right now call a shop like Backscatter, lay out what you want and get their opinion.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom