Photo Mosaic U-352, Chris O'Riley

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I correct in assuming this photo was taken using the "stitch" setting on the camera?

I played around on land with my G10 using the "stitch" mode and ended up with a wide width but narrow height photo after stitching five photos together using the stitch function in the Canon software that came with the camera..

I'll try using it underwater when I find a suitable subject to see the results.

go look on Deco Stop for a thread on the same subject...

he describes how the picture was made. It basically was made using about 30 (I think) photos that he took over the wreck and then used a photo editor such as PhotoShop to make the image..... (He's got more details in his thread..

Hi guys, thanks for the compliments! About the image, I took about 50 or so shots as I swam the length, of which 36 or 38 were used to create the mosaic. Always better to have extra photos than not enough... They were stitched together manually in Photoshop. I've tried the automated programs in the past, and while they do an OK job, a lot of work needed to be done color correcting each image to match the surrounding ones, and the automated programs just can't match the controls you have in Photoshop. Plus, I had done numerous panoramic landscapes over the years, so I already had the process worked out. It's time consuming, but worth the effort. And the final image was HUGE - almost 20,000 pixels wide, which I'm not sure the automated programs could handle.

An interesting note about the sub and the image, a few years after taking the photo, Olympus Dive Center in NC was having a fundraiser for the local aquarium, and invited Heinz Richter, one of the last remaining crewmembers of the 352, to speak. I was able to meet him and gave him a large canvas print of the sub. He showed me the area of the sub he worked in (he was the diesel mechanic) and was even able to point out which hatch he escaped from! I think he was 93 years old at the time, and it was a pleasure to meet him and his wife.

Anyway, thanks again for the compliments. If you have any other questions, just ask!

-Chris

Thanks for the explanation Chris and what a singularly amazing meeting that musn't have been with Heinz Richter. Wow. That gives a whole new dimension of wonder to an already fantastic image.

always loved that shot - it inspired me to make this underwater panorama

861379250_8035c8a4bb_o.jpg

I am curious why in the photo you can see divers but not any fish. The pictures I've seen of these NC wrecks always show them covered with schools of fish numbering in the 1000s.

Back
Top Bottom