Photogrammetry - A Primer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I posted to Scubaboard about a week ago about my first presentation to the Orange County Underwater Photographic Society.

This is a follow-on presentation that I gave a couple months later that covers the basics of photogrammetry. I also did a live demo during the presentation. I hope this helps people first getting into photogrammetry or thinking about it. As the title mentions - it is a "Primer" and not an in-depth or advanced guide but it does give information on workflow, software, tips, etc.

Here is the presentation:

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 7.41.06 AM.png

Here is a link to my on-line photogrammetry models:

My biggest project to date was the UB-88 World War I submarine off the coast of California which was about 2,500 pictures. I'm currently working on the Yukon which is a 366' long Canadian destroyer off San Diego. I've got about 40% of the wreck done and it is currently 2,000 pictures.

Regards,

- brett

Your Bearcat plane is Wicked Cool in 3D rotating !!
Nice works !!

Your Bearcat plane is Wicked Cool in 3D rotating !!
Nice works !!

Thanks!

The crazy thing about that dive was that I had no idea what I was going to find. I was alone and had to go searching for the target. I saw some fish come "find me" so I followed them and found the Bearcat. I hadn't planned on doing a photogrammetry model (I was time limited at 230 fsw) but figured I would take a ton of pictures in a short period of time and see how it turned out. My primary goal was to photograph features to help identify the type of airplane (which we ended up doing).

For those who want to view the 3D model online, it is posted here:

And the story of finding the new Bearcat wreck is here:

Regards,

- brett

Your work is incredible. I had no idea this was even a thing until seeing your posts. This is a skill I'd love to have. In my head when I saw "building 3D models" I pictured you 3D-printing tiny scale versions of your photos. I have to imagine there is a software that could take a photogrammetric rendering and come up with printing coordinates.

Your work is incredible. I had no idea this was even a thing until seeing your posts. This is a skill I'd love to have. In my head when I saw "building 3D models" I pictured you 3D-printing tiny scale versions of your photos. I have to imagine there is a software that could take a photogrammetric rendering and come up with printing coordinates.

Thanks!

You should come out for the class in January and get out of the cold. :)

In terms of printing, I have a couple friends who are into 3D printing and I know that the software can export a model as a STL file. I'm pretty sure we'll print a couple in 2023.

Below is a link to a much better version of the model for that same Bearcat wreck after I revisited it on Dec 19th:

- brett

Back
Top Bottom