Photoshop tips needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel.B

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Now I have a new laptop and PS CS2, I can finally work on learning to edit some of my photos without crashing the computer :yelclap:

Here is a photo I took while diving with the seals...

I've started reading through and printing out the PS tutorials and examples that are on here and i've started editing my photo...cropped and edited levels, adjusted hue & saturation. The green background is actually what it was like, but I like the blue better :)

What I'm wondering now is how to fix the background? In particular I'd like to remove the other seal but I the extent of my knowledge at the moment would be to clone him out which seems very tedious. There must be an easier way.

The water was quite dirty, which you would expect from a seal colony, so i don't know if anything can be done about the red marks you might be able to see on the seals body. But if the white area that is slightly overexposure can be adjusted and maybe the side of his face that is darker could be lightened then that would be good. That's what I would do if I could. I don't know if you can actually do those things with PS, but if you can I'd love to learn.

here is my attempt so far...

Thanks,
Mel :)

I'm just playing around...with everything...and have a killer headache so I couldn't tell you how I did it...Like I said, getting old sucks....

Here is my attempt:

1) Crop
2) Levels to set black and white point
3) Replace Color to reduce brightness of whites
4) Clone Tool to remove second seal
5) Healing Brush to blend area where seal was
6) Spot Healing Brush to clean-up

Cloning out the second seal did'nt really take that long. I just used a spot above it for the top half and a spot below for the bottom half. Then I used the Healing Brush to blend the two areas. I don't know of any better way to do it. Maybe someone with some artist skill could do it with the air brush, but I can't.

I like the seals in the background from the first one....i like the action in the background. Perhaps half a diver could be gotten rid of but extra seals is a good thing if you ask me.

Don't overdo your photos and create things that you didn't capture. Colour correction is one thing, but making a completely different photo is not my cup of tea....

But thats just me :)

Mike Veitch:
I like the seals in the background from the first one....i like the action in the background. Perhaps half a diver could be gotten rid of but extra seals is a good thing if you ask me.

Don't overdo your photos and create things that you didn't capture. Colour correction is one thing, but making a completely different photo is not my cup of tea....

But thats just me :)

on this one Mike even thou you did a good job on it I would have left the other seals in, take the seaweed out at the top and thats about it.

I too believe the seals in the background are a + to the picture...it was kind of you wish is my command deal.
I'd like to remove the other seal
Looking at my picture this morning on my other computer...eww....gotta give it another try

I used the "mandrake process"

http://pt010.da-kine.info/adjustments.htm

There is a download at the bottom of the page, and instructions on how to install the whole process into photoshop, so it's automatic.

howarde:
There is a download at the bottom of the page, and instructions on how to install the whole process into photoshop, so it's automatic.

A download from the adobe studio site and Not by the owner of that web site!
At least this site credits Mandrake with the process, most don't even do that.
I notice cedrit to the writer of the action is missing.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I thought the seals in the background were a distraction (especially as it's half a seal) which is why I thought they were better gone, so it's good to hear that they should stay :)

Djkpsu, I like your picture. I'll have a go working through those steps tonight. I've found some fantastic tutorials and have started to work through them.

Justleesa, when I saw yours I thought 'cool', but no wonder she has a headache!

Mel

Mel.B:
Justleesa, when I saw yours I thought 'cool', but no wonder she has a headache!

Mel

My headache was from a different cause...I walked this trail on Saturday...at around noon (pretty darn hot out), without a hat and under additional stressful conditions....It got the better of me :wink:..I'll try your pic again this week.

Back
Top Bottom