Phuket in Early July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

July is the time of the first few flooding events in urban areas and streets and a time when the people are and infra is generally unprepared to deal with whatever comes with the years rains. I would avoid. Search the net for “Thailand floods” then make up your mind…

Disclaimer: As seen on TV
From your description of the annual monsoon inundation, I don't know how I survived the past 3 years living in Phuket. Unfortunately, your post is mostly fake facts.

It really depends where you want to dive in July in Phuket. All of the Similan Island liveaboards end the season by mid-May (when the Marine Park closes for about four months). I believe the day boats from Kao Lak in Phang Nga also stop operating as well. Shore diving our little Kata Bay/Reef site is possible a few days here and there depending on winds, currents, and tides during the monsoon season but is mostly a no go zone. The day trip boats from Chalong Pier to the Racha Islands and Ko Phi Phi Islands operate all year long. The islands provide protection from the prevailing westerly winds and high waves of monsoon season on their east side, where the boats haul up and put their divers. Shark Point, Anemone Reef, and the King Cruiser wreck generally aren't dived during monsoon as they are exposed open water pinnacles that provide little shelter from sudden wind/rains. However, if there is a stretch of good weather, boats will put on trips, so just watch the daily schedules. The price of the full day 3 dive boat trips includes hotel transfers both ways so there is no need to stay near the pier if you don't want to (there is no discount for not using the transfers). Therefore, feel free to stay wherever you want on the island (if you're hotel is far north near the airport (Naithon or Mai Khow beach areas there may be a transportation surcharge).

If the weather cooperates(West coast) then the boat will go to couple of sites if not then you will be kicking your heels.
Racha island!!!! Boring sites and absolutely waste of money and time(my entry in my log book).
There are better option on the East coast.

From your description of the annual monsoon inundation, I don't know how I survived the past 3 years living in Phuket. Unfortunately, your post is mostly fake facts.
LOL.

Happened last year at the beginning of the peak season! Lousy memory.

Umm… I already put a disclaimer in my post. But still…
Recommend watching the below with a bowl of popcorn…

Umm… I already put a disclaimer in my post. But still…
Recommend watching the below with a bowl of popcorn…

Yeah it's not really news there are heavy rains in Phuket, and all of the western side of Thailand, during monsoon season. If you are in an area or street that's particularly hard hit, you'll be in inconvienced for a few hours or maybe a day. Life continues as normal around the rest of the island. During my three year residency, I've never been put out by any of the rains.

Yeah it's not really news there are heavy rains in Phuket, and all of the western side of Thailand, during monsoon season. If you are in an area or street that's particularly hard hit, you'll be in inconvienced for a few hours or maybe a day. Life continues as normal around the rest of the island. During my three year residency, I've never been put out by any of the rains.

Speak for yourself ONLY because there are nearly half a million living on the island.
Farang can leave anytime but not the local.

I am starting to think july just may not be the time to dive thailand. We may just spend our Thai time in Changmai and Dive in Cebu while we are in the Philippines the next week. Am I giving up too easy or does this make sense?

I am starting to think july just may not be the time to dive thailand. We may just spend our Thai time in Changmai and Dive in Cebu while we are in the Philippines the next week. Am I giving up too easy or does this make sense?
I do not think so.
July is NOT the time to dive the west coast of Thailand.
July is the rainy season in Chiangmai.

How about the East coast of Peninsular Malaysia?
You have at least 4 islands to chose from: Perhentian(x2), Redang, Tengol and Tioman.

We were there in mid June 2023. Staying on the west coat.
No dive operator or freelancer was willing to take me out. No boat nor shore.
My only options were a day trip from Chalong.
Was on a holiday with family and did not want to disappear from 7 am for about 12 hours.

On day three it became apparent why.
Suddenly within 20 minutes the ocean and sky went from flat to raging and bright and sunny to gloomy.
It only lasted about an hour but I am glad they all refused. Because you literally could not have expected what transpired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom