Phuket or Phi Phi - with young children (3.5 & 1.5yo)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi fellow mommy/daddy divers,

We will be heading to Singapore for a wedding in mid-January 2016, and we are thinking of going to Phuket or Ko Phi Phi for a week. Our children will be 1.5 & 3.5 yo then, and we also want to squeeze in a few dives during the holiday.

Which place will you recommend as a base for us? Phuket (Khao Lak/Karon etc) or Phi Phi?

We want to stay somewhere that can give us easy access to great dive sites (shore or within an hour of boat rides), but that somewhere will also need to be children-friendly (away from 'adult-only' nightlife, close to calm beaches, has babysitting services... etc)

As we want to do Richelieu Rock (since Similan and Surin Islands are out as we can't go on liveaboard with the children :depressed: ), I think we will have to stay close to Khao Lak to make a day trip possible?

Husband and I are both experienced divers but not wreck cert'd.

Thanks in advance!!!

Koh Lanta may be worth consideration. A favourite of mine and is more quiet and family orientated than Phi Phi or Phuket. There are good dive sites, particularly Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, without travelling too far, around 2 hrs boat trip.
There are others who regularly post on here with greater knowledge of the area than I have, dare say you will receive further feedback.

You asked the same question already elsewhere, and the answer will be no different:
for length of boat rides Phi Phi is best, for hotel choice including kid's clubs Phuket will be best, for diving Richelieu Rock Khao Lak is your best option.

Koh Lanta may be worth consideration. A favourite of mine and is more quiet and family orientated than Phi Phi or Phuket. There are good dive sites, particularly Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, without travelling too far, around 2 hrs boat trip.
There are others who regularly post on here with greater knowledge of the area than I have, dare say you will receive further feedback.

Thanks, Lord Khram!!! As if Phuket and Phi Phi do not have enough choices already, you have to throw in Koh Lanta!!! :wink:

We were looking at Koh Lanta at the beginning but as soon as we saw that there's no dive site on the island (according to Divezone), we dismissed it! We might look at it again as I do like the idea that it might not be as overrun by tourists (hahaha, and I am one with 2 little terrors in tow)!

Happy diving!

---------- Post added January 12th, 2015 at 12:07 PM ----------

Hi stevenl,

I know, I know... I posted on Tripadvisor first, but then I thought I might get better luck to find mommy/daddy divers on dive forum website! :D
Don't go on to DiveOz then, I also posted there lol!

Thanks again for your advice!

You might also want to look at Ao Nang/Krabi as IMO its more family friendly and you can do day trips to Phi Phi and the typical dives offered from phuket (3 dive super day - shark point/anenome reef or koh doc mai and the king cruiser wreck) and possibly hin daeng and hin muang etc. If you have booked your airfair to phuket its a nice drive via taxi through to Ao Nang. Less ladyboys too. If you have booked airfair to BKK there are now direct flights to Krabi from BKK

We were looking at Koh Lanta at the beginning but as soon as we saw that there's no dive site on the island (according to Divezone), we dismissed it!

Dive centres on Lanta run trips to Phi Phi, Koh Ha and Hin Daeng/Hin Muang. It's the closest departure point for Hin Daeng and Koh Ha sites...

Definitely Phuket.

Phi Phi is like a zoo. When night falls, all the animals come out.
There are drunk and aggressive party animals, transvestites, moonshine, prostitutes, etc.
Not somewhere I would bring my kids.
Additionally the diving around Phi Phi sucks. Lots of dead corals everywhere.

Phuket (esp Karon) is peaceful in contrast. Diving is pretty commercial but the dive sites are nice.

The sites listed by Wingy are the nice sites you should go to.

1. Who is going to look after the children when you have gone diving? Your other half or a complete stranger?
2. It is a full day trip if based in Phuket.
3. Forget about it and stay dry.
4. Singapore has more interesting things to do/see for the children than Phuket.

Definitely Phuket.

There are drunk and aggressive party animals, transvestites, moonshine, prostitutes, etc.

Phuket (esp Karon) is peaceful in contrast. Diving is pretty commercial but the dive sites are nice.

Id actually list Patong in Phuket exactly as you have described Phi Phi...the animals, trannies, hookers and drunks are thick on the ground. If alohabride does decide on the island of Phuket id go a few km's further and recommend Kata Beach. From the age of the OPs children id say them swimming at either beach - kata or karon - is unlikely as both these beaches can be ''tricky'' for any swimmers let alone kids. To address Central's (valid) points - other sites such as Racha can be a shorter day as the boats leave from Chalong. If mum/dad or both do decide to go diving there are nanny services available at some good hotels. Would I leave my children with them? (mine are 19/20 so they would be hitting on the nanny but I digress!) - I dont see any difference than leaving them at daycare for a day. I particularly like the Sawasdee Baray Villa but its not a real child friendly hotel but the Avista has a kids club so would likely be able to offer a nanny service. Sure there would be a cost but i also believe parents need some time out too and bravo to all the mums and dads with little ones I see out diving who do put their trust in that complete stranger....who if booked by the hotel and stays within the confines of the hotel with your children are about as safe as you can hope for.
I do agree Singapore has more things for children but at the age of the OPs children they are not going to be that amazed by either Phantasea in Phuket or allowed on too many rides at Sentosa.

I say go for it!......and whisper......still like Krabi better :wink:

Definitely Phuket.

Maybe get aquinted with places a bit better before making posts as this.

---------- Post added January 13th, 2015 at 10:58 AM ----------

Thanks, Lord Khram!!! As if Phuket and Phi Phi do not have enough choices already, you have to throw in Koh Lanta!!! :wink:

We were looking at Koh Lanta at the beginning but as soon as we saw that there's no dive site on the island (according to Divezone), we dismissed it! We might look at it again as I do like the idea that it might not be as overrun by tourists (hahaha, and I am one with 2 little terrors in tow)!

Happy diving!

---------- Post added January 12th, 2015 at 12:07 PM ----------

Hi stevenl,

I know, I know... I posted on Tripadvisor first, but then I thought I might get better luck to find mommy/daddy divers on dive forum website! :D
Don't go on to DiveOz then, I also posted there lol!

Thanks again for your advice!
Thanks, did not know that website yet :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom