phuket/similans update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDave65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Everyone,

Here is my two bits on current diving in the Phuket/Similan area.

Last week I did two day trips to King Cruiser, Shark Point and Koh Dac Mai. Visibility on King Cruiser was lousy, as always, but still a good wreck dive. Shark Pt and Koh Dac Mai are both excellent...leopard sharks, tons of sea life and decent to excellent vis on both sites.

Also just finished 4 days in the similans/Richilieu Rock. Visibilty is definitely less than last year at this time, but the cold currents filled with plankton have brought an ABUNDANCE of sea life that is truly incredible! I saw more leopard sharks, HUGE manta rays (at Koh Bon) and other assorted schools of fish than I'd seen since Palua in 1989. I've got sime pics buddy took but would have to reduce them in size for this site and that will have to happen later, as I just don't have the time right now.

Cold water is not really an issue in the similans....I used a 3/2 mm full suit, some divers wore shorties and it was more than adequate. I saw some "dorks" wearing 5mm and hoods....you've GOT to be kidding!!! It's the TROPICS for cryin' out loud!!

Anyway, it's all good. I might start a new thread on the live-aboard issue. I went with South Siam Divers and there are pro/cons.

Hope this helps someone!!

Blue Seas!

Back
Top Bottom