Phuket, THailand - Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Visibility is normally good in February, yes. But the dive sites around Phi Phi are subject to tidal changes. Phi Phi is on the outer edge of Phang Nga Bay, where the water is shallow and green. Visibility in Phi Phi can be anything from less than 10m to 30m, and it can vary daily. At least in February you don't need to worry about rain/runoff or wind and waves stirring up the bottom. Its a great time of year to dive the area.

Phi Phi Dive Sites

Hotels of all budgets in Phi Phi. What kind of place do you need. You can try the web site:

www.phi-phi.com

Try to get a day trip to Hin Daeng from Phi Phi. The best site in the area:

Phi Phi Day trips

Hin Daeng

Krabi is a nice place to stay (Ao Nang or Railey beaches). A lot of the diving is actually done at Phi Phi, though. There are some local sites too.

Krabi Day trips

Krabi Dive Sites

Glad to hear good experiences Phuket etc. But - carefully check out the dive operations. Some of the worst cattle-boats I've ever come across. And the standard of dive-leading and overcrowding - !

And as for Andy from Austria - his idea of leading a dive in poor viz is to swim as hard and fast as possible, having first ignored requests for a dive plan and neglected to give warning of undertow.

The operators seem plausible - so ask questions and don't let them dodge the answers. Perhaps we can have some recommendations from people who've been there recently.

My favourite boat / crew at the moment is Coral Cruiser - Eric is the Tour Leader and JR is a great guide. I Always take my students on this boat if it has spaces available and going the the site I want on that day. The boat is a converted Liveaboard boat and although its not the newest or 'most polished' boat operating the Phuket day sites its perfect for Phuket Day Trips, its got loads of seating (inside and outside) and lots of chilling out space in and out of the sun. There is a big kitchen on board with a dedicated kitchen team that make some really great food and even treat you to crepes (with fruit or chocolate) between dives as well as the normal watermelon and pineapple nibbles.
Eric and the crew are well experienced and know exactly where to look and go for the best experiences. These little things make such a difference, making the difference between average and exceptional dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom