Phuket, THailand - Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
my first time in thailand, dove 9 dives
day #1 - kata beach, karon rock, ko pu (all near the shore)
day #2 - shark point #2, anemone reef, kata beach night dive
day #3 - king cruiser, shark point #1, ko doc mai

I saw lots of fish, soft coral, nudibranchs, sea horses, ghost pipefish, lionfish, sea snakes, eels, etc.

lots more photos and info can be found here:
http://www.scubapost.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107

I enjoyed all the dive sites alot, although the vis at karon rock was quite bad. most dive sites were quite crowded. shark point #1 was by far the best site I thought. Anemone reef was beautiful. let me know if anyone has any specific questions about diving out of phuket, I've learned a lot while I was here. I'm off to the similan islands tomorrow.

ok, sorry the dive report was so short! let me know if anyone wants any further information.

btw, I did my shore dives and booked my boat dives with Steve (stevenl on scubaboard) (www.phuket-scuba.com), I was very happy with that choice. in phuket its important to get honest info on dive sites, quality of boats & DM's, etc. steve was great in that respect, and his divemast kop was excellent in finding marine life I never would have found (e.g. - sea horses, ghost pipefish).

scott

glassfish
scott3+071.jpg

big-eyed trevally
scott3+105.jpg

anemones at shark point #1
scott3+117.jpg

sea snake
scott3+197.jpg

ghost pipefish
scott3+278.jpg

Waow.. these pics look great! Thanks for sharing them! Was it crowded at the dive sites now? How's the weather there like now and has the visibility been good?

Wish I was there right now! :)

Those are great!

Any options for night dives on day trips? I've done the night dives in Phuket but all on liveaboards, never really explored night dives with the day trippers.

There's a couple of boats that make 4 dives, 3 daydives and 1 nightdive, on a daytrip.

And Scott was able to make a nightdive at the beach, but that is only possible from about November through April.

WOW there are great.
Thank you for your sharing

What do we do if we see a sea snake? I've never seen one and frankly I'll be scared if I did.

malaysia-islands:
What do we do if we see a sea snake? I've never seen one and frankly I'll be scared if I did.

I usually move in slowly for a closer look. They are not aggressive - sometimes they are curious but there is no need to be afraid. Just don't handle them. :D

Back
Top Bottom