Phuket trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I hail out of Hong Kong. I wanted to achieve my AOW on a romantic getaway with the other half, while visiting a few resorts for her occupational knowledge collection.
In a tangential manner (via tripadvisor.com postings and reviews), I caught up with Kiwidiver in Chalong bay (kiwidiver.com).

FYI: South Siam is basically a boating operator; subcontracts their training (and even dive leaders) out to independents. The boats are optimized for divers; the food was good and the drinks plentiful. The entire day trip went along without a hitch; these guys know their boat outing stuff.

In the span of 24 hours, doing my knowledge reviews in an accelerated manner, I achieved EANx and AOW. I must have performed every incorrect action in scuba possible - and it was made outstandingly clear I did so each time - yet in the end I was able to adjust and relax and move in a more optimized manner. Kevin Black, the main man at Kiwidiver, was very focused (almost anal) about performance, movement and buoyancy. I wanted this in my instruction and made it clear to him prior to arriving.

Our day trip took us to Koh Doc Mai, King Cruiser and Shark Point. I did Deep, Wreck and Drift respectively; with Navigation and Night at Ao Sane beach the evening prior.
A total of 4 dives with 32% 'happy gas'.

Kevin has a 'first class' office/classroom facility with excellent kit; I only needed a regulator set and BCD to rent (other items I had myself as carry-on luggage) and they both looked - and performed - nearly new.

NOTE: the best thing you can do for yourself on a visit to Phuket is: #1. Get a local Thai SIM (we got one called “MAX 99”). #2 Top up the funding for an additional THB200 or more (This can all be done upon arrival at a shop in Arrival hall by the local staff who have done this for visitors many times before). #3. Keep on hand, pocket or purse, all phone numbers of everyone you will be intending business with – personal mobile phone numbers even better. Thai English ability is challenging at best, and they DO attempt their best to communicate, yet, you are not going to explain yourself out of an unpleasant situation without assistance.

The most unpleasant part of our Phuket trip was departing HKT. If your airline check-in is in Terminal 2, you still drive up the ramp to Terminal 1, then wheel your baggage around the corner only to find a set of steps down to Terminal 2. As other half and I only had carry-on, not much of a hassle. yet we saw carts strewn everywhere, and being 1:00 AM at the time, I am sure the local Thai staff stopped caring hours before. Lots of flights leaving for Seoul at that early morning time as well.

We rented a car for the full 5 days we were in Phuket via Andaman (andamancarrent.com), who were the best operation to do business with; they answered our emails, had autos available for the date we arrived (3.Dec.2011) and showed up at the airport to greet us and give the car to us at the arrival parking lot. They also showed up within two minutes of our arriving at the Departure area, called by using our local Thai SIM, to pick back up the car. Andaman also had the best insurance coverage at THB5,000 excess.

As an alternative, Kevin recommended Nina's car rental (ninas-car.com) yet they did not have anything we wanted available on the date of our arrival, and were not willing to meet us at the airport the early morning times of arrival and departure.

Driving in Phuket was a eye-opening and at times, eye-popping experience. I swear I was the only one using turn signals to change lanes or make turns the entire time. And the 60 or 80kmph limit was universally ignored. It got to the point that it was much 'safer' to stay on the outside lane, go with the flow and be very aware of motorcycles on the inside lanes and pickups passing inside to overtake you even faster over the speed limit than you were travelling already. I suggest doing as much driving at the day time as things become somewhat chaotic from dusk until the roads clear at 11 pm.

We stayed two nights at Marriott Mai Khao Vacation Club, located a bit north of the airport (marriott.com/hotels/travel/hktpa-marriotts-mai-khao-beach-phuket). Lovely stay. If you want a purely western style location in a resort where everyone speaks good English and all fittings, service and activities are to western standard, this is the place for you. Our two nights were complementary offered by arrogantly HK-pumped Vacation Club timeshare (which took 2 hours for us to eventually politely decline). Everything was comfortable during our stay, and the beach was a mere 3 minute walk on footpaths.

Part of the Marriott vacation club stay included an invitation to ANOTHER sales pitch of nearly the same one we had in HK; yet the sales persons in Mai Khao were much more professional, relaxed, congenial and polite. The Hong Kong timeshare pumpers were the worst I have ever had to share 2 hours with - ever. And I told the Mai Khao staff exactly that. We actually did get offered a very good deal for Marriott resort stays commitment by the Mai Khao sales team, yet our focus had been altered so drastically by the arrogance shown to us by Marriott Vacation Club staff in HK, that we did also decline here. Yet the voucher we walked away with was redeemed for a lovely Thai dinner at the JW Marriott resort next door to our Vacation Club stay.

While in Mai Khao browsing around Turtle Village, we were offered a sales presentation with Anantara villas; signed up, did the preso with a MOST UNpleasant individual - who appeared all of an over-aged, burned-out world backpacker who lost interest teaching English in Thailand and wanted to try his hand at commission sales. Insulting, insinuating, assuming and insolent was the perception I came away with; I would not ever consider Anantara, ever. Thanks Heineke for putting us off completely on your entire resort portfolio by the poor excuse for a white guy you hired; yet the spa voucher we walked away in our hand was useful.

The other two nights of our Phuket stay were at Evason Phuket & Bon Island (sixsenses.com/Evason-Phuket/) in Chalong Bay area. This is a resort that attempted to harmonize completely with local environment, culture, and is very eco-friendly. The breakfast buffet was great, the trip to Bon Island was WONDERFUL! and the room stay (I suggest deluxe room or above; do NOT choose the studio, you shall be disappointed) was lovely. We did not have the sea view from our balcony, yet bay views were had at the infinity pool, the restaurants, and even the lobby. VERY relaxing stay.

All Thai staff at both resorts were pleasant, friendly and most accommodating; and perhaps my few phrases in Thai and overall positive attitude assisted the interaction as well. We stayed during the King's birthday and learned it was most gracious to mention "Long Live the King" to those in Thailand we interacted with.

Our best AUTHENTIC Thai meals, believe it or not, were had at the Tesco/Lotus Mall in Thalang, a bit south of the airport. Among all the western style restaurants on offer there, we perused the mall until we came upon the food court. Found a row of Muslim ladies with food stalls along the back, ordered Tom Yum Goong and some other dishes from them (all fresh, all cooked right there, and all very aromatic), having to pay by SVCs (stored value cards), sat among the local Thai population - with young ones in tow - and ate the most delicious authentic 'true' Thai food, EVER. And the price? Well, lets just say that I always seek Low-Cost, High-Quality (I do not ever use the words 'expensive' or 'cheap') and I got low cost, high quality food from the Thalang Tesco Mall food court.

I had the pleasure of sitting two hours in a Thai Police Station, Chalong Bay, courtesy of a Myanmar scooter driver who - while drunk and at high speed - decided to enter my earthly physical space of car and occupants from the rear end. I am not sure if it was the rear window or the metal trunk lid that prevented him from entering - uninvited - into the auto cabin.
Thanking the Universe he was not injured much and - from what I observed at the station - also had difficulty explaining to the three officers in attendance, his lack of diving license, visitor permit and other relevant documentation. Our calls immediately upon impact to Andaman (Mr. Chatmchai’s personal mobile phone number – which I had on hand from my website research and recording on paper) got a number of things cleared up in extremely fast manner.
Passing the mobile to all the uniformed Thaipersonnel, who showed up within minutes of the collision and had near zero Englishspeaking ability, was a blessing beyond belief. The amusing thing of this eventwas arriving at the station behind the police pickup (containing scooter remains andoffender), and the insurance assessor meeting us there right out front! Afterspending some time with Officer at his desk, with the offender side by sidewith me, keeping my mouth shut as much as possible, Mr. Chatmchai shows up. Two signatures on Official police paper with written Thai script, and I was out in the parking lot with Mr. Chatmchai getting the key to the replacement. These people atAndaman clearly have their sh*t together. Google 'Andaman Phuket' and you will find how seriously invested in the local travel industry this outfit is.

LESSON: If you choose to drive in Phuket, be very careful. take your time. relax. plan for contingencies. Alternatively, most all resorts in Phuket are able to arrange for you a car with driver to take you anywhere on the Island, with just an advanced notice.

If getting drunk to the point of being pissed out of your gord, and the feel of Thai bar girls caressing your skin from all directions, while drinking from glasses last sanitized prior to 9/11 is something you truly enjoy, then the Patong beach strip is the place for you. We avoided this particular earthly location simply because there was just too many other activities we chose to focus upon during our Phuket visit other than the 'seamy' offerings.

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and we wish the King a long, healthy, joyful life.

Great report. One comment though.... if you go to the Similans, get a DTAC sim card (Happy) rather than other brands. It has, by far, the best overall coverage in the area - often times, it has the ONLY coverage. (note, I don't work for them; I just found out the hard way by taking the free SIM card they give away in the airport customs area).

Back
Top Bottom