Physics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found my problem areas were in the formulas and the laws. Once I had an opportunity to review the incorrect answers, I found I used the wrong formulas, added when I should have subtracted, did not take items to the surface first, confused all the laws.

I simple terms...I DON'T HAVE A CLUE. I didn't have this much trouble in college. I'm scheduled to re-take my exam this Thursday.

I appreciate all of your advice and tips. Perhaps some of this stuff will stick and I can pass this final exam. All else is done, my demo's, the other written exams, my intern hours, my number of dives...this is holding me up.

I also understand this material will continue into the AI and IDC. What fun!!! :rofl3:

I'm sure I will get through it...but I had no idea what I was getting into.

Thanks,
Greg

6.023 x 10 (to the power of 23) right? Been a while but a guess once a chemistry geek, always a chemistry geek.
Turn in your chemistry geek card. :D It's 6.022 x 1023 (well, to four sigfigs).

(Incidentally, it's the physics and chemistry that I'm prepping hardest for, but in my case, it's the practical application of physics and chemistry... i.e. the swims. I'm finishing up week two of 0to1650, however, which should have me in proper form by the time we do them. Our swim requirements are 450 yards in 10 minutes, and 950 yards snorkeling in 18 minutes.)

Would you believe 6.023 is the metric version?:D Guess just showing that the grey matter must be breaking down. Anyway - sorry for the hijack.

Based on what you issues were I will add to my list of tips:

1) Exam writting style - a suggestion to help build your confidence for the next time you write the physics would be to first answer the questions that you are confident about. You don't have to answer the questions in the order they are in the book - just don't get confused about filling in the answer sheet. But by building your confidence you may find that some of the tougher questions you weren't too sure about start to make sense once your sub-concisious is able to work at them for a bit. Likewise there might be tidbits of info in some of the other questions that might help you out.

2) When answering the multiple choice questions, attempt to see if you can understand where the other answers are coming from. When I did the IDC physics there was usually one that would occur if the 1 wasn't added or subtracted correctly and usually one that had the wrong constant used for fresh water vs salt water. PADI has spent a lot of time and money designing the questions to try to stress the concepts, not just straight memorization..

3) Try to simplify the concepts that are being tested so they are easy to remember. Example - volume decreases with increasing pressure ... think of your mask, as you go deeper you need to exhale through your nose to equalize the space because the pressure has increased which reduced the volume of the air. Remember - they are testing your understanding of the concepts. I'm sure that I could come up with some other easy to remember rules for the other concepts but there are likely some other members of this board that have some as well.

4) Practice - ask your instructor to supply you with some more problems. If they aren't willing to then let us know and I'm sure many members will be willing to assist you in coming up with some example problems for you to work through (maybe if you ask nice - they'll even supply the answer).

You folks are awesome.

Please...anyone, send me some problems for me to work through. Any and all problems would be most appreciative.

Greg:D

Draw a picture on your scratch paper showing the surface at 1atm
Then make it a chart showing every 33ft as another atmosphere.
Do this for about 5 atm.
Then for every problem draw it out on your chart to see where it should end up.
ie: take it to the surface add 1 and take it back down

You folks are awesome.

Please...anyone, send me some problems for me to work through. Any and all problems would be most appreciative.

Greg:D

Use the workbook, there are plenty of problems in that.

Would you believe 6.023 is the metric version?:D Guess just showing that the grey matter must be breaking down.

Ain't it the truth? When I cracked open "Basic Decompression Theory and Application" and tried to read the math, I found that I had forgotten a ton of differential calculus.

Hi All,

I have several problems to work on and you all have been a great help. I take my test this Saturday, after which I have an OW class to intern for the confined water dives 1 & 2.

I'll let you all know the outcome of the test. However, if you feel compelled to send more problems my way...feel free. The more I work with the material the better I'll get at being comfortable with working with it.

Thanks,

Greg:coffee:

I'd suggest posting your solutions and sharing your work process with us. That way we can help you figure out where you might be making an error. Good luck.

Great idea.

I'll have these posted later today.

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom