Pics of 1st BP/W setup - anything wrong??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maniago

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
All - this is my first run at putting this together. I wore it around the house, and with my 5mil (kids gave me funny looks - what do they know). Seems to fit pretty good as is. Steel100&19pony. I'll also dive a 120&30pony. I need some weight pockets, but only 4lbs w/ my 8/7semidry according to the Ultimate calculator.

With any luck I'll pick up the wing on Tues, and Apeks 30lb single tanker - WTX-D30.

Did I do anything wrong that you see?

Attachments

• IMG_6334.jpg
    IMG_6334.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_6335.jpg
    IMG_6335.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_6336.jpg
    IMG_6336.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 371
Did I do anything wrong that you see?
Not 'wrong' per se, but I am curious. Did your transmitter bump you in the back / head when you were walking around?

That loop for the inflator is awful big. You only need to be able to put the lp hose through it. Not the corrugated one or the inflator itself. Otherwise looks ok. I have red webbing on my freedom contour plate as well.

I have a couple of rig configurations with a transmitter mounted similar and I have never had any issues.

But I was on a trip where a diver had his mounted in the same place and complained most of the week how it kept hitting him in his head. When this lady finally had enough of his belly-aching she gave him a great suggestion to fix HIS problem...move the darn thing. :)

its all a personal thing, but I'd sling the pony, and flip the first stage (your reg set) to tuck it lower.....
awful long primary....
awful long inflator....

YMMV

go diving!

(oh, clean the table!!!! :D)

(oh, clean the table!!!! :D)

I knew there had to be a smart-A$$ in the group! haha. Actually I was expecting it sooner, this being SB and all...

Thanks for all the input.

I didn't know what the bungie loop was for, so thanks Jim for that bit o' info. Taken that thing right off as my inflator has a hose grip on it. As for the reg/tank height, yeah I like it high - my neck doesn't flex back that good anymore, but I can reach the main tank valve with my right hand, and I'm short so the balance is good with an AA100, but dead on perfect with an AL80 or AA120. I'm not a sling fan either - I like a clean front for spearing...

Just looking at it the tank looks awful high to me (or plate way too low - same thing)
If you get head heavy or bang your head on the valve the way it is you might want to try putting the top cam band on the plate close to the shoulder of the tank. That would mean that you'd have to put the pony bracket on one of the tank bands with a wing on it.
Unless you ran the pony band just around the tank mid way in between the two plate bands. I don't think it would hurt anything. If you did that you may want to attach small pieces of webbing somehow as shims under where the tank plate bands go so you don't high center on the pony band.
I don't know how others have settled on placement, but I run the top of the plate right about the same height as the top of the tank inlet (base of valve).

Too much stuff on your refrigerator.

Too much stuff on your refrigerator.

Yeah, that is pretty bad I guess - its a busy household...

The tank is in the same position as on my backinflate BC - actually the tank is about 1/2" lower here. But I do note that I do have my stuff a lot higher than most everyone I know, but I have no problem in buoyancy and balance and I can do the frog kick just fine. I dunno. Probably just lack of brains I guess.

That said, being a new rig, I'm gonna work it in the pool before I hit the open water.

Last edited:
All - this is my first run at putting this together. Did I do anything wrong that you see?

Too me the shoulder d-rings look way too low. That may be because as said the BP is too low. I would suggest that you remove the pony bottle for now. Move the upper cam band up to the top of the slot while moving the complete BP up as well. The upper cam band should be about where the pony cam band is located, the wider the spacing between the cam bands will provide more tank stability. The adjust the shoulder d-rings to be around your collar bone.

Once you have that set you will probably find the pony bottle cam band will be between the tank cam bands.

I wore it around the house, and with my 5mil (kids gave me funny looks - what do they know).

That dad is really silly and probably should not be introduced to friends until he comes home with some cool stuff from a dive trip for us to show off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom