Pics of the tough-to-spot, tough to find and the rare.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaudy clown crab.

P8163302.JPG

Netted olive shell Oliva reticularis
Don't the animals in olive shells have venomous barbs that can be dangerous for humans?

Tough to spot as they are always hidden deep in the anemone tentacles (until you know they are there). Once you know where they are you find them everywhere in anemones but this is the only descent pic of this tiny shrimp I've ever taken. Taken in 2003 with my old Oly C5050. I've never had good focus on one since and tried so many times I've given up trying to get another good pic of one.
PA131401.JPG

Last edited:
@deepsea21,
That shrimp you posted is commonly known as a squatter shrimp, they are pretty abundant, yet most will miss them unless a diver is aware and can identify its preferred habitat. Not easy to photograph, particularly since the color and contrast of the eyes is one that challenges digital cameras.
This one is from Cozumel.
B60A4DE4-1BD7-4998-BD1D-661CADCD0221.jpeg

Cone snails are venomous but I don't think olive shells belong to this group. Could be wrong. Anyone?
I got them mixed up. Cone, not olive, shells house animals that sting. Apparently some species pack enough of a wallop to kill a human.

One more from Cozumel. This next one is a Pikeblenny. These are just awesome critters.
Cheers,
Ricardo

Attachments

• 46C1D89C-6656-4AE6-B672-A7707CB53F76.jpeg
    46C1D89C-6656-4AE6-B672-A7707CB53F76.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 71
@Ricardo V. Now that's a pic! Squatter Shrimp. Maybe I should keep on trying for better but it gets SO frustrating trying get them in view first and then in focus amidst all those moving tentacles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom