Place to find current water temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

staggsSevin

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey Guys,

Is there a place to find the current water temps for Bonaire? I searched around but I wasn't able to find one. Headed there on March 1st for a week.

I have asked the same question before a trip--hated to take too little wetsuit.....someone mentioned the temps seen here Bonaire Dive and Adventure 78-84F. For me-that means taking a 3 mil and skins or heavy skins with some thermal benefit. Looking at a seasurface temp map on the tropical weather section of, wunderground.com , looks like about 78F now.......

If you ask this question on, bonairetalk.com ,some locals and tourists will likely answer.

75F? Good bet both it and your Oceanic are reading low! My Oceanic reads 4.5F low (calibrated against a good thermometer).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

75F? Good bet both it and your Oceanic are reading low! My Oceanic reads 4.5F low (calibrated against a good thermometer).

Out of curiosity and winter boredom I just just compared both of our dive computers against ambient air temperature readings from our electronic HVAC thermostat, indoor/outdoor weather station, immersion style digital temperature probe (like used for cooking etc.), and my Fluke 787 process multimeter with Type-K thermocouple sensor. Our dive computers don't indicate decimal point precision, so I rounded all reference instrument readings to the nearest whole number. Without true traceable calibration references for comparison all I could come up with was an assumption based on consensus of my other instruments. But assumptions are my specialty. :eyebrow:

My wife and I have the same model computer and it turns out that both indicate similar readings of about 1 degree below the reference instruments in both air and water. I also learned that my electronic HVAC thermostat is probably reading a couple of degrees higher than actual temperature, which explains why my wife always has it set at 72 degrees!

The water surrounding Bonaire turned unusually cold in late December and early January. We were seeing temperatures of 75 to 76 degrees between Christmas and the 1st week in January. We were wearing 4/5 mm full suits and 2mm beanies. My wife even layered a 1 mm short-sleeve top under her wetsuit. We were pretty chilled at 60 minutes and borderline hypothermic at 75 minutes on repetitive dives. I have no idea if the water is really 75 degrees right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to that.

My computer has been consistently reading between 80-81F on all the dives I've done over the past week, 79F came up on a few the week before.

I've been chilly in a 7/5/3 and broke out my hooded vest for a couple of dives.

Sent from my N8010_APT using Tapatalk

75F seems cold for bonaire, I'll take the 80F :) Thanks for all of the posts!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom