Placencia Whale Shark Season 2011 - Updates on sightings please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JaneDoe

Registered
Reaction score
We're headed to Belize next month for whale shark diving and I was just wondering if anyone has an update on whale shark sightings (or lack thereof). I read a review on TripAdvisor from someone who went March 19 - March 25 and they didn't see a single whale shark. The full moon is coming up in April, and if anyone could post updates as to what they saw (or didn't see) that would be great!

We've planned 2 days of whale shark diving with Splash (May 19 and 20) and we're lugging all of our camera equipment, so we REALLY REALLY REALLY hope to see lots of them. :popcorn:

I'll be diving with Splash in June, so I'd appreciate it if you'd post a trip report when you return.

Good luck!

No whale shark sightings to date as we have not started April whale shark trips. The best time is usually after the full moon - so after April 17th.
Whale sharks are sighted around the time of the full moon in March, April, May and June. The best months are April and May so thats when we encourage divers to come to Belize. You are coming to Placencia at a good time.

We did a whale shark trip today with some customers who are leaving and could not wait until we start our whale shark trips starting Monday. Saw lots and lots cubera and dog snapper so they are agregating although they were deep at about 120 feet.
The group saw 2 bull sharks and 5 reef sharks and had a great time - but did not see whale sharks. The conditions are right so they should show up soon.

Today, Sunday April 17 we had another group that wanted to go even though we advised them it is a little early. They saw sharks and lots and lots of snapper but no whale sharks. The snapper were shallower than yesterday which I take to be a good sign. Visibility was very good - at least 80 feet. We start our first programed whale shark dives tomorrow.
Regards
Ralph

Today, Monday April 18 was our first scheduled whale shark trip. Sad to say, none were seen. Full moon tonight so hoping for whale sharks Tuesday.
Regards
Ralph

YES, YES, YES!!!!!
Today, Tuesday April 19th 3 whale sharks sighted on the first dive, one on the second.
On the first dive, two of the whale sharks were together and came close. The third was further away but estimated to be over 35 feet long. They also saw 3 dolphins, a bull shark, and a reef shark that was chased away by the snapper.
The snorkelers got a good look at the whale sharks on the first dive and as a bonus, the three dolphins came within 5 feet of the snorkelers!
The whale shark on the second dive was big but deep - may have been the same one as seen on the first dive.
Overall a great day!
Regards
Ralph

Amazing! Thanks for the whale shark news! We're coming down in May as well & can't wait to hopefully see some. Noticed someone mentioned photography in this thread. Is there anyone local that goes out with the groups/dive shops to take photos? I know there are some well known photographers that live in Placencia & I've seen lots of amazing shots of whale sharks. Wondered if there was a way to get some while we're done there. Like have someone come with the group or at least purchase the finished photography. Thanks!

Ralph, what happens if you don't see any whale sharks on a particular outing? Do you go dive elsewhere?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom