Places to swim near Dallas/Fort Worth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mascio

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone have any recommendations for places to swim that is cheap/free? I want to improve my swimming and with the weather warming up, I was hoping there were some beaches (OK, man-made) near Dallas to swim.

Thanks!
JRSM

I lived in the D/FW area 20+ years ago, and used to enjoy swimming at Grapevine Lake in the summers. I wish I could remember the exact name of the area I went to, but it had a cove and I would swim from one side to the other, back and forth with mask, fins and snorkel to help improve my dive fitness. It was about 400-500 yards across. The water was, of course, murky. But, it's not like I was really "snorkeling." It was all in the name of improved kicking and cardiovascular capacity.

Don't know if you've found a place; you didn't say what area of Dallas your located, but if lake swimming is your thing, you pretty much head in ANY direction in DFW area and hit water in under 1 hour. Lake Whitney and Possium Kingdom take a little longer, and then it just depends on how far you want to drive. As far as Grapevine is concerned, Copperas Cove is probably what Big G was talking about. Also, consult lake web sites and Texas Parks & Wildlife web site for lake "swimming areas".

Back
Top Bottom