Planned deco on a recreational dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turn pressure is always relevant ... but it does not constitute a plan. It's just a data point ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
agreed -so how would you create a gas plan for exploring an unknown wreck/cave where distance and objective is unknown

agreed -so how would you create a gas plan for exploring an unknown wreck/cave where distance and objective is unknown

Use the TP as a data point, and factor in other conditions (current, surge, stressors that could increase breathing rate, depth profiles, and other factors that could be factored in "on the fly"). TP is calculated on an assumption of "static" conditions. Based on what I experienced on the way in, I would move that value up or down accordingly as the dive progressed.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Use the TP as a data point, and factor in other conditions (current, surge, stressors that could increase breathing rate, depth profiles, and other factors that could be factored in "on the fly"). TP is calculated on an assumption of "static" conditions. Based on what I experienced on the way in, I would move that value up or down accordingly as the dive progressed.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yeah, that is how we dive. We go look at things and adjust our dive based on what we see and what the conditions are.

re post #392:
Thats called "stage" diving.
This is not the usual definition of stage diving.....

I agree, but it gets the general point across.
How does it do that? Unless you mean, carry as much gas as you can if you have no idea what you are doing or how long it will last.

How does it do that? Unless you mean, carry as much gas as you can if you have no idea what you are doing or how long it will last.

By answering the question of how they do exploration dives. Go to the end of your thirds in a new system, come out and say "Wow there is still tons to see in there", plan your next dive with a stage and continue to progress. If you know another way, educate me. I doubt seriously as Sheck Exley was exploring Cathedral that he sat down and said "For me to reach the end of this thing (which he had no idea where it was) I need to take me 500cf of gas and then I am golden."

Once again, that may be over simplifying it a bit, but I am sure it falls in the same lines as your cave training would progress.

Cavern
Intro
Full
Stage
DPV
etc..

No... You can do explorations without stages. Just find a place with water that noone has referenced and you're doing exploration, no stage.
OTOH, you can do a lot of stage diving without discovering anything that wasn't known before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom