Planned deco on a recreational dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I guess I could spell out the whole talk...

Hey we're going to be at about 90' on the reef.. What size tank you diving with? How much time does that tank last you normally ? Okay, Frank got a steel LP72 and breathing like a fish.. He's always last to run low.. When you get to your turn pressure we turn and let's get to the surface with 400 or so left in the tank.. Sounds good guy's? Let's go have some fun..

And add to that a fast check on each other's alternative air .... The whole thing should take no more than a few minutes at most and done well kitting up..

And I would make it clear that I have a 19cu pony so if anyone runs into trouble, I'll pass off the pony to them..

Jim..

Last edited:
"Ascend when the first diver's SPG shows 700 psi" is "planning" in the same way that "ascend when the first diver's computer shows zero no-deco time remaining" is "planning." The latter has been disparagingly referred to as flying one's computer rather than "planning." And that makes sense to me. Even the most casual recreational diver should do some sort of "planning" to know how much no-deco time he would have if he were to do the whole dive at some given depth, even if that's just using the computer's dive planner mode five minutes before splashing. Likewise, I think even the most casual recreational diver should do some sort of planning to guesstimate how much time he can spend at some given depth before he no longer has enough air left to get him (and more preferably, both him and his buddy) safely back to the surface.

"Ascend when the first diver's SPG shows 700 psi" is "planning" in the same way that "ascend when the first diver's computer shows zero no-deco time remaining" is "planning." The latter has been disparagingly referred to as flying one's computer rather than "planning." And that makes sense to me. Even the most casual recreational diver should do some sort of "planning" to know how much no-deco time he would have if he were to do the whole dive at some given depth, even if that's just using the computer's dive planner mode five minutes before splashing. Likewise, I think even the most casual recreational diver should do some sort of planning to guesstimate how much time he can spend at some given depth before he no longer has enough air left to get him (and more preferably, both him and his buddy) safely back to the surface.

if you diving a square profile within NDL and no overheads then its sufficient - I've never seen a recreational diver do any sort of gas planning other than the points you mentioned above -
Theres a gulf between rec diving on say a lobster dive and on a overhead dive with deco . However even then there seems to be no or little discussion about dissimilar RMV and tank sizes, maybe its the dive culture of tech diving that they expect each other to self reliant ( which is a good thing) but in fact most ccr divers I've dived with dont even consider my reserve requirements (on sidemount) and they're taken aback if I ask them to carry more. At the end of the day its my responsibility to do my homework -law of averages tell me that one day im going to need it

Planning implies forethought ... i.e. "proactive"

"Ascend when the first diver's SPG shows 700 psi" is reactive, which is not planning.

Most recreational divers ... particularly those who tend to follow dive guides all the time ... dive in reactive mode. That is not, however, what's meant by "plan your dive and dive your plan" ... which is something we all heard in our OW training.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Theres a gulf between rec diving on say a lobster dive and on a overhead dive with deco .

The gulf is self-imposed by people making bad assumptions ... which is why every year we get to read about some idiot who died while lobstering because he ran out of air ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Its easy to go one more foot deeper or just pass the reaper sign. Whatever your limits are there is no need to push them. Ive always looked on from my current limit and thought... there's a class for that! I wouldnt dive with a group or a single diver that isnt trained to do the planned dive. There is no need to take the risk. If they walked into my LDS and asked for that Id sell them the class if they held the nessesary prerequisites. If not, walk away. Better to live to dive another day.

"Ascend when the first diver's SPG shows 700 psi" is reactive, which is not planning.
So when cave divers plan to turn a dive when when one of them hits 2,000 PSI, that is reactive and not planning as well, correct?

So when cave divers plan to turn a dive when when one of them hits 2,000 PSI, that is reactive and not planning as well, correct?

... my cave training taught me to consider how much gas I needed for the dive I'm planning to do. Turning the dive on thirds isn't a plan ... it's feedback that helps you stick to the plan you made before you ever got in the water. If I hit thirds before I reach my objective, it's telling me that my plan was crap to begin with ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Maybe the difference is knowing where the number "700" psi came from? If a team gives thought to how much air a diver needs to ascend, whether they're going to factor in sharing air on an emergency ascent, and how much they need to reserve to do it all, and the answer comes out to 700 psi, then I suppose that is planning. Blind faith that a magic number such as "700" psi will work on every dive is not planning.

... my cave training taught me to consider how much gas I needed for the dive I'm planning to do. Turning the dive on thirds isn't a plan ... it's feedback that helps you stick to the plan you made before you ever got in the water. If I hit thirds before I reach my objective, it's telling me that my plan was crap to begin with ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
from an objective perspective you are probably right but having a TP is not an either or in that situation is an integral part of the plan and trip alert to correct your crappy plan
Having an objective and a gas plan to suit works for known quantity but if you've not been there before id say TP is very relevant

Back
Top Bottom