Planning a trip... Komodo, Maumere, Alor- Logistics???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi DiveExploreIndonesia,

thank you for these informations.
Just one question: Are you sure about the flight times to and from Alor?

- ...Transnusa MV 614 from Kupang to Alor at 14h00/14h50.
- Fly Transnusa MV 615 from Alor to Kupang at 10h00/10h45...

As far as I remember the plane arrives from Kupang, has approximately 30 minutes (might be a bit more) on Alor and then flies back to Kupang.
I don't think that it will stay on Alor overnight which would be the case with your flight times.

Andy

Yes exactly the afternoon flight is Thursday and Sunday and the morning flight is Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday.
I was talking about flight connections you can do in one day, so traveling from Bali to Alor in one day and from Alor to Bali with nice connections. Sure the plane that arrives in Alor goes back to Kupang, but than you need connections to Bali again that day.
If you read what I wrote , it is clear :

So by the existing schedule it is possible to fly to Alor from Bali every Thursday, Sunday using :
- Flight Garuda airlines GA 438 from Bali to Kupang 11h00/12h20 and then Transnusa MV 614 from Kupang to Alor at 14h00/14h50.
And possible to fly from Alor to Bali in one day every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday using:
- Fly Transnusa MV 615 from Alor to Kupang at 10h00/10h45 and then Batavia air 7P-758from Kupang to Denpasar at 15h00/16h30.

Hi DiveExploreIndonesia,

thank you for clarifying and sorry that I missed the ""fineprint"".
If I would have opened my eyes I could and should have noticed the weekdays and not only the times that you mentioned.

Again thank you for clarifying.

Andy

P.S.: Next time I pay more attention...

I will be in Indonesia in late March and would like to dive either Alor or Wakatobi. I would like to see some pristine reefs, small stuff, and some big stuff. I will Be in Indo for 3 weeks and originally planned to dive Komodo for 3 days and then Wakatobi for 4 days to mix the two types of diving I am looking for. Then I found about Alor and it seems like it has everything. Does anyone know if the reefs are as diverse and pristine in Alor as they are in Wakatobi? How about the conditions in late March? Are the conditions in March as good in Alor as they would be in Wakatobi?
Decisions, Decisions.
LobstaClaw:)

Hi LobstahClaw,

I haven't been in Wakatobi but was on Alor a couple of times. In my oppinion it's the best place to go diving that I have been at so far (Australia, Thailand, Japan, other places in Indonesia).
The corals are really pristine and colourful and you can see heaps of small stuff. Regarding big stuff it's always luck that you will need. But I nearly can guarantee that you will see dolphins on the surface (I wasn't lucky to see them while diving :( ).
As well you might have a chance to see jumping Sail-Fish and/or Thunas, again both on the surface.
Apart of that I saw Nurse Sharks, (Eagle) Rays and schools of Thunas while diving there.

Regarding the best time to go diving on Alor I can't help you. That's something you might want to ask the local dive shop(s). There are three with only one directly located on Alor, Alor Dive (Tauchen in Alor or Tauchen in Alor) of Thomas (german run). Being a german, I always dive with him and therefore can't comment on the others. To be fair these are the other shops ""on"" Alor: Le Petit Kepa (french run) on a small island close to Alor and Alor Divers (as well french) located on a neighbouring island.

Have fun on Alor,

Andy

Last edited:
Hi...I have also not been to Wakatobi, but have all over the Indo-Pacific and extensive in Indonesia, and I'd put Alor "up there" with any place I've been. I was there this year at the same time you are considering going (was maybe mid March), and loved it....however, I was told optimal conditions are around October. Visibility while I was there was only so so, and I was told that was because the rainy season was coming to an end. If that's the only time you can go, it's still certainly worth the trip..and far cheaper than Wakatobi. I stayed at Eco Resort (eco dive resort in alor archipelago, indonesia.) which I would highly recommend.

Hi, Just to put my 2 cents worth in. I would actually visit flores and go to Maumere overland and maybe just stop there. There is actually great diving at Ankermi just 30k East of Maumere and not far from the airport. You cold fly back to bali from there or go on to Alor but to dive Maumere takes at least a couple of weeks. Have fun.
Stephen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom