Planning a trip to Belize for late Oct-Nov got some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy-S

Contributor
Reaction score
So we are planning a trip to Coco beach resort on Ambergris Caye for late Oct-Nov.
I was wondering what the weather should be like I know its on the tail end of Hurrican season.

How do you normaly get from the main airport to Ambergris? Fly or boat?
Once on Ambergris how do you get around I heard water taxi or rent golf carts or even bikes, what can i expect to pay for these?

last thing would be is there any must do's while on the caye?

Thanks Scuba family you guys always help me on my trips!:D

Since you don't have any bites yet, I thought I'd throw in a few bits for a fellow Washingtonian. My travels are usually March/April, so I don't have a lot of first hand Oct/Nov experience but I'd imagine by then that the storms are starting to calm down and the evening rains will be letting up. The water will still be warm, 80-82. I'd still pack for rain as I think it can happen any time.

I'd guess you'll be departing from either SEA or PDX, overnighting in either MIA or DFW , or flying all night and sleeping on the plane. Your flights will likely arrive in Belize City in early afternoon, giving plenty of time to catch a flight to Ambergris. I would certainly fly instead of taking the boat. Your options are either Maya Island Air or Tropic Airlines. We have used both without any issues. Neither have very big planes and you always have the possibility of your luggage arriving one plane behind you.

There are tons of good things to do and good places to eat. Do a bit of reading here, ask some questions and you will have lots of answers. My favorites, Estelles for breakfast, Wild Mangos for Dinner, DandE's DandE’s Frozen Custard & Sorbet, Belize Ice Cream for icecream, and Rudy Duran/Isand Divers Welcome to Island Divers Belize for Diving. Hope this helps, feel free to PM. Ken :42:

Thanks for the info Ken
Our flights are nice leave Portland at 6 am fly into Houston and in Belize city buy 230pm
I with you I think the boat sounds fun but is a pain in the butt to do after travel most of the day

After eating and diving is there anything else note worthy on ambergris Caye worth checking out.

As a dive gude.I work/lived in AC for a year or so. Take Tropic or Mayan Air from Belize. do not waste your time,comfort,and worry about the weather on the boat. Walking,bikes,golf carts,and land taxis are to forms of transportation unless you want to bo to Caye Cawker;take the water taxis, it can be a fun day trip. Glab the AC newspaper for current information about activities on & around the island. Usually each day of the week there's a big party somewhere. (AC is a 24/7 partyland) Enjoy the diving....

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

I think thats a pretty good connection out of PDX. Had a similar one out of SEA in March. I'd schedule yourself for the 4:00pm flight to Ambergris. That way you've got a little flex time for delays and customs. If you're early, they'll likely send you on the earlier flight anyway. Theres not a ton of other things to do on the island of Ambergris itself. Eat, Drink, and Dive.
I believe Coco Beach is about 3-3 1/2 miles north of San Pedro. Means you'll either need to rent a golf cart or use the water taxi to get into town. I've always stayed closer to San Pedro and just rented the cart for the week, about $250.00. There are many day trips off Ambergris, back to the mainland for cave tubing, zip lining, and the Mayan Ruins. All can be arranged when you get there if thats your choice. Likewise, if you decide to do a day trip to Half Moon Caye (Blue Hole) or Turneffe for diving, it can be arranged through your diveshop. :42:

Thanks Ken that's some great feedback I was wondering. How much a cart was for the week.
I fine with eat drink dive and my wife fine with eat drink lay in the sun.
So it should be a great trip as long as I can have a sunny week

As it is the tail end of the official hurricane season, I'd make sure you have really good travel insurance. If there's a hurricane scare it's possible you might be compulsorily evacuated from the island, or even prevented from coming here in the first place. The earlier you buy that insurance the cheaper and more available it will be. That said, during "hurricane season", when there isn't actually a storm conditions can be hot and calm, and diving superb.

You'll be using water taxis to travel to and from Coco Beach. I'm not sure of the prices for visitors (it's cheaper for locals) but you can contact the ferry company via their website Coastal Xpress Water Taxi and Ferry Service . They may offer a week-long pass at a discounted rate, which is also more convenient.

Have you decided who you'll be diving with? You have a number of options.

As peter says diving can be superb during that time however it can also be miserable if there is a weather front also Mosquitos can be an issue at that time of year with no wind and frequent rain so be sure to stock up on repellant 100% deet works best and take it with you as it can be very expensive on the island.

Its also generally very very quiet during Septemeber and Octas they are generally the 2 quietest months of the year.

Gaz Cooper

Thanks guys it would be end of Oct first part of Nov if that makes a difference as far as weather concern. We may push it off to the first week of Dec.

I have not researched a dive op yet and am open for suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom