Planning a trip to Cayman Brac in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HH.. You sent Divi more money? im a little lost.. I cant see how they could use a boat on the beach as any excuse for anything. Im curious if you actually went and looked at building 2. I have not seen it for about 3 months but there was alot more damage then just a window blowing out. not to mention the damage caused by people helping themselfs to what ever wasnt bolted down and some stuff that was bolted down. Even if they would have let you use the place after the first storm I have a feeling they did you a favor. I would say the dock being on the beach right after Gustuv was a much bigger issue then the boat.. 200' of dock sitting next to a 40' boat.. I would love to see what they sent you in that regard. I hope you didnt believe them. Next time your down, peel that sticker off the boat for me will you !!

Starting to warm up.. all the best..
Craig

Craig, from all of us Divi Braccers we thank you for at least giving life to diving at the Brac a few more years than Divi was willing to give. It has such great dives and there will be few people who will ever know about it's potential. There's great dives like Strawberry wall, as well as chutes that will hardly ever be seen again until there is again multiple places to dive with on the Brac. I considered the Divi in 1989 to be a top incredible dive destination and we have seen how much the Divi really - never cared.
I have dove with the Brac Reef a good number of times but do not consider them to be the caliber that the Divi or Craig offered. That doesn't mean I won't dive with the Brac Reef again but it's not the same that's for sure. I remember the days when we could ask for any specific dive site and get it, which is not how Reef Divers will treat you.
I'm missing my friends on the Brac and friends that we've made through the years that also enjoyed the Brac, it's too bad we have to turn the page.
Best wishes to you and your endeavor where ever you are.

HH.. You sent Divi more money?

Nope, not a dime!

This was an April 2008 payment made for what should have been an October 2008 stay (Divi's rules for Timeshares is to pay 6+ months in advance).

I cant see how they could use a boat on the beach as any excuse for anything.

Yet they did. Obviously, Divi Resorts was simply looking for any old excuse that would avoid their own culpability.

Next time your down, peel that sticker off the boat for me will you !!

Sure, will do.

-hh

I remember the days when we could ask for any specific dive site and get it, which is not how Reef Divers will treat you.
I'm surprised to hear that. I recall our DMs asking if anyone had any requests, when diving with either the operation on Brac or on Little.

I still regret not getting to dive one of the sea mounts offshore with Craig when he was still working at RD. We were about to leave the dock and Craig wanted to take us there, but asked the whole boat to make sure everybody was ok with a drift dive. One diver wasn't ok with it, so we all missed out.

Craig, if you recall, that was the day after those guys went out into the channel and recovered the video camera the guy dropped overboard right after you told him it was going to be rough going out the channel.

I'm surprised to hear that. I recall our DMs asking if anyone had any requests, when diving with either the operation on Brac or on Little.

The last two times we dove with Brac Reef we did ask for specific dives and were told that's not where we are going. Now you could say it might depend on the weather but it was nice on both trips, and with very little if any current. I requested East Chute, Bus stop wall (for gunards) and a couple of others. Instead we got to dive with the statues ... twice as well as other sites I wasn't wanting to go to like Sergeant Major.
On the good side I did go to a new site which I thought was good...Stingray Tower.

Speaking of In Depth...I bet their phones are ringing off the wall this morning. Glenn Reynolds of Instapundit.com fame just spent a week diving with them and posted a blurb on his website about them. Instapundit Blog Archive HAVING RETURNED FROM MY OFFLINE VACATION, I should note that I spent a lot of time diving with In De…

For those not familiar, Glenn links to other blog posts and news stories and the huge waves of website visitors that follow have been christened an "instalanche" because of their effect of website traffic. Here's hoping that Nat and Craig get a nice boost to their business out of this...

It is a shame that such a wonderful place as The Brac only has one viable dive resort. I love Brac Reef Beach Resort and Reef Divers, but I'd like a little variety.

I have been told that Cayman Airways is THE main reason Cayman Brac cannot develop any further. They just can't or won't fly enough planes in there from convenient locations to make it viable. I read the letter that the CEO of Divi wrote to Cayman Airways when they ceased operations and I tend to believe what he said about poor air service to Cayman Brac.

I have always enjoyed Reef Divers on The Brac and Little Cayman and I have had them accept my dive site suggestions as often as not. No matter where you dive, if you are not a "know it all" about dive sites the dive masters will treat you much better.

I think there may be a glimmer of truth to what Divi said about Brac and air access...but access to LC is even more limited, and there are at least 3 viable resorts there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom