Planning a trip to Mozambique/South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Will be traveling to South Africa around September and would like to dive Mozambique. I'm looking at diving around Inhambane area.....

I would appreciate any advice and tips.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I usually dive with Tofo Scuba - everyone that I have spoken to who has dived with them has nothing but praise for their operation.

The nicest accomodation in the Tofo area is probably Cassa Barry - just don't use the Casitas.

Wat is 'n Casitas? :)

They are small one roomed units with a bathroom.. Not so great, overpriced for what they are.

Glad to see you can still remember some Afrikaans ! :D

There are far better places than cassa barry. Barra lodge, Flamingo Bay, Guinjata resort to mention a few and Barra diving are the best in that area I am up there at least once a month so I should know also John is one the most knowledgeable for that area he is a friend of mine I would strongly suggest you use him to organize your trip

For clarity - I was only talking about accomodation in the town of Tofo, not the point further north or Inhambane in general.

Hey, Roy.. you got room in your bags for me?

Hi, I just got back from diving in Mozambique last month and can offer you some advice based on my own personal experience. We stayed at Barra Lodge and dived with Barra Diving. The accomodation was nice and clean, rooms were roomy with a double and a single bed and not air-conditioned. They also provide mosquito nets which is must as there are mozzies during the night. I brought my own mosquito coils. Food was V.GOOD and they offer quite a variety (appetiser and soup, meat, seafood and veg for mains, and dessert) for dinner. The only thing I didn't like was the very thick and creamy soups.

We pre-booked (non-refundable) our dives which was not advisable as the weather/sea conditions varied during our 4 diving days. As such, we had only 2 weather permitting days that we could make it out to the outer reefs and made 5 out of the 8 dives we have booked for. Lauching/beaching of the boat was quite an eye opener for me so be prepared for safari kind of diving :p About Barra Diving, all the crew were very friendly but we have a problem with their over-protective way of diving, to the extend that we felt uncomfortable and harrassed.

Happy bubbles,
Jovin-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom