Planning a trip to Mozambique/South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were there in May. Had a great time although it was a bit rough some of the days.

If you want to go and do ocean safari or surf, the areas closest to Tofo are the best. The areas on the Barra Reef are closer to some of the dive spots, but a long rubber boat ride from the area most likely to see the whale sharks, and the deep manta areas.

Great trip, great people, food was okay, don't expect much in that department.

we have a problem with their over-protective way of diving, to the extend that we felt uncomfortable and harrassed.

I know this is late but, if you still follow this thread, would you mind expounding on this comment? What exactly do you mean by "over-protective"?

Hi Roy,

Great that you are coming diving here in Southern Mozambique, the diving in this area is absolutely world class, so I hope you will not be disappointed.

For diving areas, you basically have three choices, Tofo, Barra or Guinjata Bay (also known as Jangamo beach). All are within easy reach of Inhambane town, which is the main transport ub of the region. All three areas offer fantastic diving and you are guaranteed amazing diving wherever you choose to go. Tofo is the busiest and most famous and there you will have the widest choice of dive operators to choose from. Tofo Scuba, Diversity Scuba and Liquid Adventures all have great reputations and facilities. Barra has Barra Lodge which is more of a resort, I have not dived there myself yet but have heard great things about the Northern reefs at that part of the coast.

I manage the dive centre at Jeff's Palm Resort - Jeff's Pro Dive - which is a PADI 5* Gold Palm dive centre located at Jangamo beach/Guinjata Bay. You can check out our website at jeffsmozdotcom, which includes a map and directions from Inhambane. Jangamo beach is a little bit quieter than Tofo, we are less developed and have more of a chilled out feel. We are a bit quiet at the moment so if you decide to dive with us or our neighbours at Guinjata Bay resort, you will be guaranteed a personal service.

As for the diving in this region, the premium dive site of the area is Manta Reef, which has 3 Manta cleaning stations and an unbeliveable level of reef fish and game fish. Manta Reef is about 20km from Tofo, 30km from Barra and 10km from Jangamo Beach.

Each area also has local reefs which are all spectacular, you will be guaranteed to see lion fish, paper fish, countless nudibranches, game fish, many morays and even frog fish if you're lucky.

Visibility is mixed at the moment, sometimes as low as 5m, others up to 20 or 30m and water temperatures are in the low to mid 20s.

There are not too many whale sharks around right now but they are here, BUT it is a great time of year to see the humpback whales, right now is their migration period south and you can often see them breaching out in the water from the beach.

I hope you enjoy your diving trip, if you feel like visiting us down here at Jeff's you can drop me a line or give me a call once you get to Inhambane to arrange transport to the resort.

Happy diving!

Mike Kelly
PADI MSDT #498052
Manager
Jeff's Pro Dive Centre
Praia de Jangamo
Inhambane, Mozambique

Email: mikekelly1980atgmail.com
Tel: +258 84 239 1100

Nice post Mike but do you realise that the original poster enquired about diving Moz/SA in September? Seems like your advice, albeit very good advice, might be a day late and a Metical short:D

No worries, I read your post with interest as we're going up to Pomene in December.

Also, your profile says you're in Honduras and your post says you're in central Mozambique. Mind sharing your secret?

Hi Deefstes,

Yes I realised after writing that Roy was planning his trip in September but I thought i'd post anyway as the info might be useful, even for other people checking it out, such as yourself!

I've just taken over running the dive centre here a month ago and previously I was working in Utila, Honduras. Hadn't got round to changing my profile, but thanks for the reminder, will need to amend that soon.

Enjoy your trip to Pomene.
Thanks,
Mike

Mike Kelly
PADI MSDT #498052
Manager
Jeff's Pro Dive Centre
Praia de Jangamo
Inhambane, Mozambique

Email: mikekelly1980atgmail.com
Tel: +258 84 239 1100

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/