Planning dive trip for May '17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghostknife

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My wife and I are trying to plan a trip for this coming May and we cant figure out where to go in the Bahamas. We spoke with quiet a few people including Stuarts Cove at the Our World Underwater show and of course everyone says come dive with us. We have never dove in the Bahamas before and are confused, lol. We are interested in seeing sharks and other large marine animals along with beautiful reefs/wrecks. In the reading I have done on here, everyone seems of have a different opinion on the places to go. It will be just the two of us and are both AOW certified, for what its worth. As far as resorts go, non all-inclusive isn't a make or break for us. We are thinking of the 7 days we are there, diving 4-5 days and exploring the rest. It seems a bit overwhelming, thank you for your help and suggestions!

Last edited:
This is totally our situation but our timeframe is first week of june. The scenario you typed is just us. Two persons, no kids, never been to Bahamas, etc. So I can relate to your writing totally.

We are really overwhelmed on the places to go. Really confusing the different areas. Cozumel, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Freeport, Nassau, Palm Beach, etc. We really can't decide and nobody seems to know really what is the difference between these.

Please keep in mind that the following is what I have SEEN in sites or discussions and put to my conclusions. They are not something you should take as an advice, but rather consider. Also if someone reads these, please correct me if I am wrong.

The things I have dug out is:
- Freeport is much less touristy than Nassau. Exumas is mainly done from liveaboards. Bimini is much more expensive than other islands and smaller which leads to "nothing much else to do than dive". At least we are not the beach laying type but rather want to go and explore.
- Freeport reef quality might be a pit on the average or "poor" side. Especially if you compare to eg. Cozumel.
- Bahamas dive operators quality is at best in the average / good minus. (eg. compared to Cozumel, if you look tripadvisor ratings). I really don't know which one to choose if going to eg. Freeport.
- Everyone seems to recommed going to Cozumel over Bahamas (is Bahams really that bad)?
- Bahamas have really shallow dives
- Bahamas have sharks, but rarely seen on other dives than the actual dives where they feed the sharks
- May/June is low season in Bahamas, which might lead to cancellations on trips if the minimum diver amounts are not met
- Bahamas do not have currents on the sites (not sure about this!) and are usually easier dives than eg. Cozumel
- Bahamas diving varies from the $100 - $250. The higher side being the specialities and the lower being the basic two tank. The two tank price average would be somewhere around $125.

The "overwhelmed" is really the word. It feels that I could spend weeks and weeks analyzing the different sites and still not find the best place for us. For example we don't like drift dives as we like to photograph. Finding the info about just this is proven to be quite difficult.

And of course asking is always something that you can take as an advice only as you are really the only one who knows what you want.

Back
Top Bottom