Planning first PI dive trip April 2019....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

She is going to be at home in the Philippines. So she'll be flying from Tuguegarao to Manila.

The entire plan is fly from Toronto to Manila then Tuguegarao. Spend a week with her family. After that, she stays with her family and I go on a 10 day dive trip, by myself. At the end of my dive trip, I go to Manila from where ever I am. She flies from Tuguegarao to Manila. We meet at hotel in Manila. We stay in Manila for 4 days then fly back to Toronto.

I'm pretty flexible about the dates. So a week with the family might change to 6 days. A 10 day dive trip might change to 9 or 11 days. The whole trip should be 21 days but 20 or 22 is fine too. I have to juggle best dates for flying, best dates for dive trip. Then I'll make the time with family and time in Manila whatever fits those dates.

I would find availability for diving at a resort, Safari, or liveaboard, then see if you can make the flights work.

She is going to be at home in the Philippines. So she'll be flying from Tuguegarao to Manila.

The entire plan is fly from Toronto to Manila then Tuguegarao. Spend a week with her family. After that, she stays with her family and I go on a 10 day dive trip, by myself. At the end of my dive trip, I go to Manila from where ever I am. She flies from Tuguegarao to Manila. We meet at hotel in Manila. We stay in Manila for 4 days then fly back to Toronto.

I'm pretty flexible about the dates. So a week with the family might change to 6 days. A 10 day dive trip might change to 9 or 11 days. The whole trip should be 21 days but 20 or 22 is fine too. I have to juggle best dates for flying, best dates for dive trip. Then I'll make the time with family and time in Manila whatever fits those dates.
You should spend the Easter(Holy Week) with the family and she will appreciate it. Unless you have different opinion on Catholicism.
LoB to Tubattaha is usually in big demand because of the relatively short season(3 months). So book early.

Have a nice trip.

You should spend the Easter(Holy Week) with the family and she will appreciate it.

That is a good suggestion. She originally came up with the order of travel but that was before we thought about Easter. I don't think she has spent Easter with her sisters in decades. I think I'll flip it around so I go diving first then spend time with the family at the end of the trip.

I'll let her know now. Maybe her sisters who are abroad will be able to come home for Easter.

That is a good suggestion. She originally came up with the order of travel but that was before we thought about Easter. I don't think she has spent Easter with her sisters in decades. I think I'll flip it around so I go diving first then spend time with the family at the end of the trip.

I'll let her know now. Maybe her sisters who are abroad will be able to come home for Easter.
Christmas and Easter are the time for family reunion. The main reason why the flights to Philippines are in such demand over those periods.
Stock up the pasalubong!!!!!

One month away from the adventure! Time to start making sure everything is ready and prepped. Domestic Philippine air bookings have already been an adventure. Booked initially on Cebu air from Puerto Princessa. That flight was cancelled. Then booked on PAL same route but later in the day which would have had us lose a full day. Now they added an earlier flight so we switched to that and got our day back! Hopefully that's it.

Being the first Vacation to the Philippines I have a few standard questions. Yeah... being lazy, sure the answers are here somewhere but I'll ask the questions here.

1. Money - ATM's, are they reliable? ATM tips?

2. Phones - We have Verizon and what I'm looking at looks pretty pricey, $10 a day (each day used) I've never done pre-paids so not sure how they work or if they're a viable option in the Philippines?

3. Transfers - One of the reasons I held off on the Philippines for so long was because of all the island hoping. Any suggestions for the most stress free travel from Cebu airport to Bohol, Alona Beach. Private when possible is best, cost not a problem. Would be awesome to find an Op that picked me up at the airport and had reps there every step of the way till arrival in Alona beach. In my younger days this wouldn't be an issue. But now with age, and schlepping 70 kilos of luggage plus carry ons, I want easy and seemless as possible.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

Greg

Bring cash as a backup. I had a Canadian credit card and Eurooean bank card and neither worked at any of the many ATMs in NAIA. When I landed days later in Cebu airport it took 4 unsuccessful tries at different ATMs before I managed to get pesos. Never had a similar experience anywhere else (including Myanmar which was a breeze) so I would have backups and found Philippines a challenge to get money out.

Bring cash as a backup. I had a Canadian credit card and European bank card and neither worked at any of the many ATMs in NAIA. When I landed days later in Cebu airport it took 4 unsuccessful tries at different ATMs before I managed to get pesos. Never had a similar experience anywhere else (including Myanmar which was a breeze) so I would have backups and found Philippines a challenge to get money out.
Exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks!!! Honestly... I travel abroad a bit. I typically rely on hotel room safes. If I know they are available, I bring cash.

HSBC has the highest withdrawal limit (was 40,000 pesos last I saw, though your bank may apply a lower limit) and no fee. There are HSBC ATMs in Makati and one near the Ayala Mall in Cebu. Ideally you would use a debit card with a chip.
You may be able to pick up some pesos in advance, depending where you live, to get you from the airport to your first night’s hotel.
If you have an unlocked phone, by all means get a Philippines SIM card. Dirt cheap plans. If you don’t have an unlocked phone, maybe buy a cheap dumb phone or borrow an old one from the relatives. Texting is the way to make so many arrangements.
Was there a reason why you are planning to fly to Cebu airport instead of Tagbilaran, if your destination is Alona Beach?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom