Planning Proposal on a Dive in Bali -- Want Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Tulamben is the best place for this event; easy diving w/ romantic underwater wreck scenery.
Put the rings and 2 bottle wine in a beatiful box, ask your guide to place it at your known location either liberty or coral garden; let him stay hiding there just in case found by other divers. You and your girl go dive 5 minutes after and find the box bring to the beach. Note make sure the box is easy to handle underwater. And a team is ready on beach to prepare for simple "informal" bali ritual wedding ceremony once you surface and continue with wine. If you do at around 10:00 am you may have more than 10 divers there. So, two bottle wine may not enough. Bali wine is not special (but not expensive), for this occasion will taste better.
You can ask the operator to organize incl. to present a pedanda (priest) for the wedding.

Tonight I had the idea of proposing underwater on a dive in Bali (she loves diving even more than I do). My thought would be to propose on the dive and we could get married on the beach the next day. We've already talked with both families about the possibility we might show up engaged and/or married one day, though she's asked me to make the details and timing a surprise. My initial thought is to take laminated cards with me from the states for the dive, the first saying "will you marry me?" and the second, assuming she nods yes to the first, saying "tomorrow?"

I am in love with this idea! My husband put a lot of effort into our engagement and it really matters over the years- having a story to tell reminds you of WHY you have a story to tell!

do not bring the actual ring underwater... either of you might lose it... that would be a shame.

I think I agree. The idea of putting the ring on under water is overshadowed by the possibility you might lose it. I don't know about the whole "replica" thing because the ring that goes on the finger (for sentimental reasons) is THE ring. I have a one friend who wore a carved wooden ring instead of the diamond he eventually bought her and one friend who hung onto a zip tie (I'm not kidding) until it was lost in a move. But, if you have trusted friend or a safe location, you can give it to her after.

This is just beautiful- I love it! Planned and yet spontaneous.

Make sure you get a good photographer, though. If the family isn't there, they will want to witness the event vicariously!

Try Candi Dasa - Rama Candi Dasa resort does wonderful wedding cermonies (great for sunset shots etc etc) Absolute Scuba are in the process of opening a new dive shop operating out of the hotel. so they could arrange it all for you. Alternatively you could try over at Gilli Tarangwan as well.

Thanks everyone - these are great ideas! Feel free to post more - I'm putting together a lot of ideas to try to make a very special day!

Hi congrads - My boyfriend (now fiance) proposed underwater as well - but in Sipadan in Malay last year. Some advice:

1) Don't bring the real ring underwater! Keep the real one in a safe in the hotel and bring a plain band or a fake one underwater. It's already a stressful moment so don't add complications to it

2) Buy good travel insurance for your ring if you bring it aboard

3) Get someone local to help you organize. They always know secret or quite dive spots

4) Make sure you don't bring her too deep when you propose. It's was too exciting for me and I breath down a lot of air really really fast. I went through 70% tank at 40 feet in 20 mins. Extrememly abnormal.... so don't bring her too deep.

4) Make sure you don't bring her too deep when you propose. It's was too exciting for me and I breath down a lot of air really really fast. I went through 70% tank at 40 feet in 20 mins. Extrememly abnormal.... so don't bring her too deep.

Thats an excellent point.

I was going to propose to my fiance underwater, but decided against it because I knew how excited she'd get, either hyperventalating or shooting for the surface.

Back
Top Bottom