Plastic Cap problem ScubaPro MK25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have been diving with a ScubaPro MK25 Reg for the past few years. I love everything about it except the black plastic Cap designed to protect the top access to the reg.
Each year, after service, the cap falls off under normal use. I looked closely at it, and realized that the cap is held to the main unit via three plastic outcroppings designed to clamp around a "Cylidrical Lip" or rim on the 1st stage. It is my opinion that you cannot remove this cap without shearing material from one or more of these outcroppings, thus leaving it loosely attached when re-assembled. I have gone to various dealers(depending on my dive locations to get a new replacement) after the cap finally falls off, each year.
The other day, I went to a dealer to ask if there have been any changes in this design and to get a new cap. The dealer boasted that he services 100's of MK25's each year and he has never had one complaint. I challenged him to pull a cap off of a reg and demonstrate how he takes it off. He proceeded to pull/force it off with his hand and handed the cap to me. Low and Behold, it was then damaged by the removal. I showed him and he acted "surprised".
Do any other MK25 owners have this complaint. This cap and it's general design are very poorly thought-out. The reg poses no safety issue without the cap, but the principle of the matter is: It should not fall off a $900.00 reg package, that is supposedly one of the best made.

It's like buying a Farrari and having a bumper fall off every time you get an oil change.

Can someone share any thoughts on this matter? Scubapro has not changed their design or done anything about it to help their consumers concerning this matter. I bought it because it is "A Reg for LIFE".
Sorry ScubaPro, your engineers almost made the perfect reg.....
This, along with a couple other issues with my BC and my depth gauge have fallen on def ears at the mother ship. WHY???????????????
I'd leave the Cap off, but it looks like garbage and, well, it's just supposed to be there.
Any thoughts from my fellow hardcore divers demanding promised quality?

ScubaGrabber:
I have been diving with a ScubaPro MK25 Reg for the past few years. I love everything about it except the black plastic Cap designed to protect the top access to the reg.

I'm sure if you asked, the dealer would order you a new plastic cap for your annual service. SP might even warranty it if you told them how much it bothers you.

Terry

I have two MK 20 first stages and I assume the black plastic cap on these are the same as the MK25. I have serviced these regs myself and I use a small screwdriver to gently pry out and then pop off the cap. Recently I changed all the o-rings to viton so I could use it for oxygen service and again had no problem with the cap. Maybe the older MK20 reg had a cap with softer plastic that would not break the ears when you removed it. Good luck with Scubapro as I have switched all my other regs to Poseidon.

I'd be more annoyed at paying $900 for a reg. I hope it's titanium.
Anyway, yeah - getting a new one at service time shouldn't be a big deal. Just let them know ahead of time so you don't get kept waiting.

Its only there to deter divers from adjusting thier own IPs...

Yes, it bothers me a lot. I ordered five caps, but I don't get it yet...

I lost them more often at the boat diving.

Anyway, yeah - getting a new one at service time shouldn't be a big deal. Just let them know ahead of time so you don't get kept waiting.

Maybe he's including second stages and hoses?

Oh PS I purchased a used Mk25 reg, got service on it, and have been diving with it and the plastic cap hasn't fallen off. In fact I tugged on it a bit because I was curious how it came off, and it wasn't budging but then I didn't pull very hard because I didn't want to break it if I was doing it wrong!

for that amount of money it better NOT be titanium! who wants a reg that is made of a material known to easily react with oxygen!!!

btw. I think that original poster is just too picky and should switch to some simple models (like MK2) :D

for that amount of money it better NOT be titanium! who wants a reg that is made of a material known to easily react with oxygen!!!

btw. I think that original poster is just too picky and should switch to some simple models (like MK2) :D

Yeah, I don't like titanium either, but at least I'd expect it to be north of the $900 range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom