Playa: All Inclusive INCLUDING diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muddyh2o

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey all

I'm planning to head to Playa for a week or two in June. I'm a diver (PADI & SSI Instructor) and just want to do some brain-dead diving. My girlfriend isn't a diver and we don't want to take the time to get her OW on this trip (though Playa is probably a good place to do it.) We just need some sun, water and rest.

A few years ago in Jamaica, I found an All Inclusive resort which included diving (two OW dives a day). Does anything like that exist in Playa?

It's not so much about saving money but it's more about convenience to just walk to a boat and dive, see my girlfriend back at the resort between dives, perhaps have her tag along on the boat occasionally, etc.

Any suggestions?

We're still debating the AI part of the deal, as I expect we'll be in town most night anyway, but I prefer places where breakfast, drinks, etc are no-hassle.

Thanks!

-j

I've been to playa lots of time and actually leaving this Saturday but I've never seen a resort offering 2 dives a day as a package or part of the AI. We stay at the Riu hotel and they have their own scuba shop called Scuba Caribe and I've had lots of great dive with them. What I also like is that you leave from the beach of your hotel to the boat. No need to go in town.

Awesome. That's what I was looking for. Which Riu? Tequila? Playacar? Palace? There's a lot of Riu there... Maybe there at all of 'em.

Many thanks.

I've been to playa lots of time and actually leaving this Saturday but I've never seen a resort offering 2 dives a day as a package or part of the AI. We stay at the Riu hotel and they have their own scuba shop called Scuba Caribe and I've had lots of great dive with them. What I also like is that you leave from the beach of your hotel to the boat. No need to go in town.

Iberostar has a similar deal, they have Dressel Divers on site and they go out 2-3 times every day. We went with them twice now (once in DR and once in Mexico, at the Iberostar Paraiso) and are very happy with them. I can't speak for Scuba Caribe, but the Dressel boats were faster :wink:

Awesome. That's what I was looking for. Which Riu? Tequila? Playacar? Palace? There's a lot of Riu there... Maybe there at all of 'em.

Many thanks.

If you want a beach front Riu - you will need Playacar(very nice have stayed here many times) or Palace ..the others you will have to shuttle to the beach. Yes, all of the same onsite Dive shop, but if cost is an issue then you can get better rates from "in town" Dive Shops.

I just got back from Riu Playacar - PM if you have any specific questions, my wife is a non-diver and we go at least a couple times a year.. we love this area and I enjoy the caves/cenotes and have dove the Bull sharks a couple of times as well

We've stayed at two Iberostar resorts where you can dive from the resort. Dressel Divers is the on-site dive op. We found them to be very good, well trained, safety minded and good equipment. My son did his PADI OW with them and they were very thorough. Cost is good with significant discounts if paid ahead through their web site.

First we stayed at Iberostar Cozumel which is fabulous diving but not a great beach. The resort is smaller but nice. The food was good but not great. Larger, nicer boats with a nice pier. Only a 5 minute ride to some of the world's best diving. Surface intervals are back at the resort. This is a great choice for great diving.

Next we stayed at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo which is part of 5-Iberostar complex. In order of cost, the Iberostars are Beach, Del Mar, Paraiso Lindo, Mayan, and Grand. We REALLY enjoyed IBPL. Many pools, great beach, lots of activities, many choices for dining from big buffets to steak and seafood table service. By staying at the top 3 resorts you get to chose better dining choices. Beach and Del Mar have only buffet I think. Dressel has one boat, a catamaran, that you board at the beach. Diving is very nice but not as WOW as Cozumel. IBPL would be my first choice for great beach, great resort, good diving.

I've searched but not found any all-inclusive in Mexico/Mayan Riviera with diving included in the price. Yes, it is common in Jamaica but unusual elsewhere. Feel free to message me if you have questions.

Just back from the Occidental Allegro Playacar (APC). This is in the Playacar area just immediately south of Playa del Carmen. The resort is nice, the beach is fantastic but the food was lacking variety and flavor. We went off-resort to find good food. We stayed in the First Club condo's which are nice and include a private club area. This was really nice to have and added to the experience. Service was great, 2 nice pools, and a wonderful beach.

Diving at the APC was through Pro Dive Mexico at a reasonable cost: $396 for 10 dives shared by two people. A large outfit that provides services at several resorts. They were very professional but the dive leaders varied everyday and every trip due to bringing people in from other resorts. We were only able to dive 3 days due to weather and travel arrangements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom