Playa del Carmen and Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkfin67

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all... I will be diving PDC and Cozumel for one week in April and will be diving 4-5 of those days. I wanted to get an idea what to bring in terms of exposure gear, and from what I've read here on the board 3mm-5mm should do the trick. Given the water should be warming up would I be good just taking 3mm gear. I will also likely dive a couple Cenotes...so am wondering if I should just go 5mm?

Also any recommendation on dive shops? Tankha and Geofish seem to get thumps up around here. Anyone have an opinion on Diversity Diving?

Thanks!

We were there a month ago. Wore a full 3mm and definately wasnt hot. All fo the DMs were wearing 5mm and a couple were wearing a 5mm and shorty 3mm and hood, so you should be fine.

I have always dived a 3mm in Coz/PDC and have been very comfortable, but I run pretty warm. My wife runs cold (in terms of temperature), and she has been cold in a 3mm, so next time we go she will bring an additional vest or hood.

If you will only be diving the cenotes one day you can probably rent a 5mm there to avoid lugging a 3mm and a 5mm suit.

Have fun!

The cenotes are constant temp around 75 degrees. I would do all my ocean dives first to get dialed in and then give the cenotes a shot. Buoyancy control is critical in the cenotes and the fresh water will give your gear a nice long rinse before you go home. One suit, take your 5mm, easy to unzip and cool off after an ocean dive.

5mm. and you are on the safe side.

I guess it really depends on the temperatures you are used to. I just returned from PDC and Cozumel and was quite comfortable using a T-shirt in the ocean and 3mm in the cenotes.
On both dives to the C56 we were greeted by a "squadron" of 15 Eagle Rays.

I'm going to echo those that suggest the 3mm. I've only used a 3mm Shorty and I've dove just about every month in Playa.

The only time I remember being cold is when we did a deep dive in late November to Los Arcos. But, I was more cold when we got out of the water than in the water.

I've never dove cenote before, but am looking forward to it on my next trip in May! :)

I was in Playa the last three weeks. I used my 5-4-3 mm in both the ocean and cenotes and was glad I did. Very comfortable!! This time I dove with GeoFish, Scuba 10 and Scuba Playa. I haven't been out with Diversity yet so I can't comment on them specifically. I still prefer GeoFish because of the close proximity to the beach. The staff is friendly and competent AND the boat is superior to the pangas. Although many shops have competent staff and good boats and are close to the beach.......you need to check out a couple of shops and pick the one you feel most comfortable with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom