Playa Del Carmen Daily Dive Report! Geofish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the on-going reports. Can't wait to get back there in January. I really, really miss 82F water. Last weekend I dove in 70F fresh......somehow it's not just the same.:cold:

We are heading down November 12, last weekend we dove in 42F fresh :cold::cold:. Imagine how much we can't wait...

November, 10, 2010

Mama Vina and Sabalos

Today the weather was perfect in the morning. The ocean was flat, a bit of cloud cover, but the water conditions were great. The wind was blowing from the ENE at 8 knots/9mph and the wave height over the Cantil was 1.2m/4ft.

Mama Vina was awesome the current was perfect and the visibility was around 90ft/27m. We ended up seeing a big school of Barracuda, Atlantic Spadefish, 2 big Green Moray Eels, 3 Southern Stingrays, and off on the auxiliary reef we ended up seeing two big school of Yellow tail Jack and Horse Eye Jack. Very very nice dive.

Sabalos was very nice as well. Visibility was around 80ft/24m and the current was moderate. We ended up seeing the typical schools of Snapper, Grunts, and Porkfish. We also saw the biggest Pipefish I have every seen. It was probably a good 6 inches long and pretty thick. We also ended up seeing 1 Hawksbill Turtle. Very nice day of diving, and as the weeks go on we are seeing the diving conditions are getting better and better. Happy Diving everyone.

Tomorrow November 11/2010:Tortugas and Sabalos

I love reading your reports!

There have been rumors that the bull sharks have been fished out by someone in Puerto Morelos. Since you work in the area... I was just wondering if you had heard the same rumors or know anything more about the situation? Here's the thread. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/359432-pdc-bull-sharks-wiped-out.html

Yes that is true, a fisherman from Puerto Morelos reportedly killed 9 sharks last Saturday. And by doing this he just killed about half of the population of sharks that comes to this area every year. The sharks that are here are all females as well, there are no males, and many of them are pregnant every year they come. He also just killed an economic spike for this entire city. Dive shops, boat captains, deck hands, tour agencies all rely on the presence of these sharks for means of income and him killing 9 Bulls might have put 5000 pesos in his pocket, but it caused any people to lose a lot more. And the amazing thing is that he probably doesn't even realize what he has done. These sharks are gone now, they are smart animals and when 1 of their group members is killed or fished they all will leave and sometimes they never come back, which is the case with Great Whites. Very very unfortunate. I know that where he was fishing he would need a permit to fish those waters and if he is from Puerto Morelos he definitely did not have that permit. If this is actually true I hope he is reprimanded for this. We will still be checking to see if they are there, but if they are not there in the next couple of weeks I don't think they will be all year.

I was in Puerto Morelos on that Saturday morning and personally saw several large sharks in the back of a pickup truck parked outside a restaurant. We were headed to a dive shop next door for some morning dives. It's very very sad that this type of reckless behavior is allowed to happen.

This really is an unfortunate event.:shakehead: Does anyone know if there are any laws protecting the sharks from fishing? I sure would hope there is. Has anyone reported this to the authorities?

Went on a dive this morning around 11am (not going to say where or how deep we were, just in case the culprits read these.......hey you never know) and within 5 minutes I spotted a big fat pregnant 9 foot BULL SHARK!!!!! She was swimming about 100 feet from us and she was accompanied by another smaller Bull Shark. I banged on my tank to get their attention because at first I didn't know for sure if it was a Shark because it was right at the end of visibility. They came a little bit closer and there they were, beautiful as ever. Then about 5 minutes later we spotted two more and I know they were different because one was really pregnant, but not nearly as big as the first and the other came super close and had a hook in its mouth. The biggest one I can confidently say was around 9ft. A smaller one around 6ft came within 10 feet of us. I was so happy when I saw them I felt like it was my first time seeing them. Where I saw them, no one knows and no one will know because if it wasn't for the massive traffic to the Bull Shark dive, they probably wouldn't have been killed, or at least that many wouldn't have. Just a wonderful day all around, this one dive made up for the last two weeks. They are still here and they are still as magnificently beautiful as always!

People need to keep signing this petition Blue Heart Society Playa del Carmen - Protect Our Reefs. Happy Diving everyone!!

November 18, 2010

Tortugas and Sabalos

Today the weather was kind of cloudy and rainy, but the water like glass. The wind was blowing from the NW at around 10knots/11mph.

Tortugas was great today. Visibility was around 80ft/24m and the current was very mild today. We ended up seeing 4 turtles, all Hawksbill and the highlight of the dive was seeing 2 big Blue Marlin swimming together at the surface. Great dive!

Sabalos was very nice today as well. Visibility was around 70ft/21m and the current was moderate. We ended up seeing 5 big Green Moray Eels, one Pipefish, a Decorator Crab, and the always shy Pipehorse. We have been seeing a lot of Moray Eels lately and this is a very good sign because a couple months ago we were hardly seeing any. The diving is great right now.

Tomorrow: November 19, 2010

Mama Viña and Barracuda

November 23, 2010
Mama Viña and Barracuda

Today we finally we able to get out after 3 days of absolutely horrible weather. 3 straight days of rain and wind does not mix well with diving. But we got out and it was a wonderful day of diving. The Southern Reefs are very nice right now and probably the only place we can go and actually have any sort of visibility.

Mama Vina was really nice today. The visibility was around 75ft and the current was very mild, which made it easy for us to see the entire wreck. We ended up seeing about 50 Barracuda, a Green Moray Eel, and a huge Loggerhead Turtle. But the highlight of the dive was when a customer of ours, Steve surprised his girlfriend Charlotte with a proposal on the first deck of the boat, she said yes of course. Very good call on his part and I am very happy to be a part of that. Congratulations guys, we wish you the best.

Barracuda was very nice today as well. The current was a little bit stronger here, but it was still a great dive. We ended up seeing a Hawksbill turtle being cleaned by two Blue Angelfish and about 6 Eels in total (3 big Green Moray's). One of the Morays was having his teeth cleaned by a Red Banded cleaner shrimp, which made for a nice photo op for the soon to be groom. All in all a great day of diving.

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN GUYS. Happy Diving everyone.

Back
Top Bottom