Playa del Carmen sharks wiped out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i was reading about this when I was down there last week and it is very sad. We did have a chance to see one off of the punta venada reef. ( I think I am saying that right). it kept its distance from us but it was about a 10 footer.

Very sad but not much we can do about Mexican law.

I saw one of Punta Venado a couple of weeks ago also. There is a petition that has been submitted to the mexican government, it isn't too late to sign it, we are hoping that they will protect these sharks, if it's not already too late:

there is a link to it from the Blue Heart Society .org website

Please go to and sign the petition and forward it to other divers and friends who are as sickened and outraged as we all are about this.

I was in Cancun at xmas this year-NO BULL SHARKS!! I was VERY disappointed and angered about what has been happening. I am currently looking for ways to stop the shark kill and help preserve the reefs.

Keep your bubbles (and spirits) up!

If you are all as angry and sad about this as us then please check out the petition that is being collated.

h t t p://ww[/url] w.gop etition.com/p etition/4080 3/sign.ht ml#se

And there is are various advocacy group formings. Detail of which can be found here.

ht tp: //shark divers.blogspot.com/20 10/11/playa -del-carmen-sharks- killed.html

Dive with passion - Ecodiving Tours

(web addresses are split up so that they can be posted)

Muchas gracias for posting those links.
Don't know if you are Daniel, José or Candy, but thank you.
We are all just sick about it and for those of us over in Cozumel who have had the pleasure of diving in Playa we share a great sadness with you to see these beautiful creatures slaughtered. It will take decades for the shark population to recover.

You can post the links... so here they are again. It takes just a minute to sign the petition. PLEASE sign.

Underwater Thrills:Swimming With Sharks: Playa del Carmen Sharks Killed - Blueheartsociety.org Steps Up

Here's the petition:
Peticion a SAGARPA de una Zona de "NO CAPTURA" y Veda de Tiburones en Playa del Carmen - Sign the Petition

Here's a similar petition in English:
Riviera Maya - Help Save our Marine Ecosystem Petition

Here's the organization...Saving Our Sharks A.C., site

About Us

This is from a PDC diveshop that I am "friends" with on facebook (Abyss Dive Centre), its from 7 hours ago...

"The boys are back...but who knows for how long? Who wants to come diving with the Bull sharks? Our Boat leaves every day at 3.30pm. No need to feed!"

They have a picture of 2 sharks. Maybe one of the PDC dive shops that watch this board can comment better than I, but it seems that the shark sightings are less common, with fewer sharks than before the fishing resumed, although I'm not there so I could be wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom