Playa for a day or no?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy,

Sorry I didn't answer before... missed your question. Mark and DocViking are right on the mark. The cenotes guides know the cenotes that novices go on like the back of their hand. You are always within a few feet of air. The only thing that got me was my allergies combined with bats and their droppings. But, that may have been 'cause I just didn't like the bats!

Highly agree that Tulum is worth visiting. It is very unique in that the ruins are along the sea. Haven't been to Coba but have heard good things.

Paula

I'm leaving tomorrow for Kantenah, which is halfway between Playa and Tulum. I'm diving a couple of days with Scubamex in Pamuul, then was planning on visiting Tulum. I'm glad to hear it's worth the trip. I don't know whether I'll get to do the Cenotes or not, as my wife just got her OW and I'm not real sure she could handle it. That just gives me an excuse to go back...lol

Soggy:
I'm going to be in Cancun in April and will be doing a couple 2-tankers up there along with some snorkeling. I will have a car for a couple days of the trip and was wondering if it was worth driving down to Playa to do a dive or two down there or if I should just stick with Cancun if the Playa diving is negligably different than Cancun. If it's worth it to head to Playa, can anyone recommend a good operator?
I was in Playa in mid February. My hotel hooked me up with Phantom Divers. Not sure if I'll go back to them (nice guys, small operation, VERY laid back, but his pre-dive brief was, well, brief). The dive locations, however, were great. On a dive site called Tortugas I counted 11 large turtles. Found a short swim-through on a site called Baracudas. Lots of critters.

FWIW, According to my dive book (The Dive Sites of Cozumel, Cancun and the Mayan Riviera, by Lawson Wood) it looks like Playa Del Carmen area has a lot better/deeper dives than Cancun. He also reviews dives near Isla Mujeres. That being said, my own personal diving experience (in Mexico) is limited to just the 2 dives out of Playa and 3 from Cozumel.

Jerry

Soggy:
I'm also thinking of spending that day at Isla Mujeres. Help.

Soggy,

Wife and I were in Isla Mujeres in February. It is a very small, clean island with very reasonably priced lodging and food. The diving is good, not spectacular. It is also reasonably priced. It has historically been a fishing community and still is. Many boats right on the beach.

Isla is harder to get to than some of the places you can fly straight into and dive from your hotel. You have to get to Puerto Juarez and take a passenger ferry to Isla. The boat ride takes about 25 min and costs about $3.00. Transportation to Puerto Juarez is in addition. we found a small hotel on Hidalgo St. for about $25.00 nite w/ac. One of the dive ops/with internet is directly across the street.Hidalgo St. is closed to vehicle traffic and is very nice with many colorful shops and eating places.. Watch out for the time share hustelers!!

Plyya Del Carmen is a little further down the road to the south.
We dove with Luis at www.sealifedivers.com in November, 2002. They are on Mamitas beach (topless) and have a reasonable operation. Tortugas (turtles) reef is a great drift dive. Many huge turtles. Again, they do not compare to Coz but they are much more laid back with a lot less turista clamor.

Regards,

I was in Playa last September and did my Advanced Open Water with Barracuda Scuba and had a blast. The deep dive on the Tortugas reef was also a cruisin drift dive and I saw many turtles, a giant grouper, a marlin, and spider crabs. Awhole lot of fun. There are more good reefs like Chac Mool just south of Playa.

Just returned yesterday from 5 days in PDC-- highly recommend diving the cenotes. Unique, beautiful, great experience! Also recommend Dive Mike-- excellent operation, experienced DM's all cave certified that gave terrific detailed breifings & removed all doubt from my slightly claustrophobic mind. Favorite cenote was Angelita, but would recommend Dos Ojos or Ponderosa for beginners.

Mississippi:
Just returned yesterday from 5 days in PDC-- highly recommend diving the cenotes. Unique, beautiful, great experience! Also recommend Dive Mike-- excellent operation, experienced DM's all cave certified that gave terrific detailed breifings & removed all doubt from my slightly claustrophobic mind. Favorite cenote was Angelita, but would recommend Dos Ojos or Ponderosa for beginners.

Nice Mississippi,

Will be back there again next month and am definitely doing Cenotes. Will check your recommendation since I will be on Cozumel but will ferry over for a day. Will also be in Austin,TX to do my drysuit and nitrox at the end of April at Lake Travis.

Perfect timing for Lake Travis - viz should be at season best anytime now. Our last dive 3 weeks ago was 54 degrees at 80' so you'll be real happy in that drysuit! Have fun! :0)

We are headed down to Cancun April24 -May 1st and plan to dive with Solo Buceo. We are going to try to get to Coz and Isla Mujeres as well. We dove Chac Mool cenote the last time and had a blast and my wife and I are pretty new > 25 dives.

If you just want go snorkeling Xell-ha(sp) was great

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom