Playa or Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rrutecky

Registered
Reaction score
Advice needed -headed to the Riu in Playa with the family for a week starting 7/31. I have been diving in Coz several times and loved it. How is the diving around Playa in comparision and should I try to make the trek to Cozumel one day?

The diving in Playa del Carmen is fabulous.

No reason not to make a day trip to Coz, but it's certainly optional. You'll find plenty of good diving right where you are.

Get in touch with Ben from ScorpioDivers.com or Alvaro from AlwaysDiving.com and they'll take care of you.

While Playa is nice...It does not compare with Coz.

Playa diving is just different from Coz. Since you're with your family, I'd think you should hang in Playa, do some open water diving there -- there are some great things to see -- and take a cenote trip, for sure. Once you're settled and relaxed, you can decide if it's worth it to you to come to Coz for a day or trade that away to enjoy some of the many other attractions on the Riviera Maya.

I can"t believe that shark came up to your camera like that! Pretty cool!

No reason not to make a day trip to Coz, but it's certainly optional. You'll find plenty of good diving right where you are.

Get in touch with Ben from ScorpioDivers.com or Alvaro from AlwaysDiving.com and they'll take care of you.

I would agree that if you are going with the family that Playa is the better option. Dove Coz in January-only thing there is diving and it is fantastic. Diving in Playa is not nearly as good, but many other things to do.

i agree with cpichette, i just got from playa yesterday, coz is much better, cenotes are great don't miss that..also to my shock,and other divers i talked to at my resort that had dove all over the world, the are NO WHARFS in playa, so you put all of your gear on at dive shop, walk down the street, across the beach, out into the water, and climb on to the dive boat, i know this is hard to believe but TRUE!!! i stayed at the occidental grand xcaret it was fantastic, but there is no on site dive operator there as stated, there is a pool side operator that will have you picked up there and brought to playa and go diving from there, if you choose to go with a different dive operator a taxi will cost you $20 round trip !!! also most of dive operators in playa price the dives with equipment include, no discount for having your own equipment, $70 for 2 tank dives!!!

I can"t believe that shark came up to your camera like that! Pretty cool!

It was certainly one of the coolest things I've seen underwater. Or above water, for that matter. Thing acted like it didn't even notice we were there until its nose actually made contact with the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom