Playa Palancar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue73

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We will be visiting the island during spring break and this time my daughter has been begging to go to the beach for the day. We have never been to the "beach" on Coz, so I'm not sure of the best place to go.

I would like to go to a place that has chairs and umbrellas, and some snacks and cold cervesas would be nice. We will be staying at Blue Angel. I have been looking at Playa Palancar, but I am confused because some say that the beach is free as long as you are buying food and drinks, and others say that they paid $10 to rent a couple chairs and umbrella. Also, should I get a cab from Blue Angel to Palancar, or should would it be cheaper to rent a car for the day?

Many thanks,
Blue

INHO, Rent a car from ISIS, drive down to Playa Palancar (where they don't charge for beach access), then later continue on down the road and see the other side before coming back to town. There you will see miles of deserted beaches.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dave is right. Also, the beach lounge chairs may cost Ive never used them. The chairs up in the sand above the beach are free if you are eating or drinking.

Consider taking the boat snorkel trip from Playa Palancar

Palancar beach

Personally, I'd take the ferry across to Playa del Carmen and go to the beaches there. Far superior in my opinion with much more sand, fewer rocks, and less dense beachgoers. Plus you won't be captive to any one vendor.

Playa Del Carmen Beach.jpg

I dont know that I agree....this kind of beach isnt my thing. I much prefer Playa Palancar, and if thats too much, hit the east side beaches below Coconuts. Just as scenic, but usually you have it to yourself.

Fine, disagree. I think that beach you pictured is far better than the one below so covered in loungers and chairs that all that remains is a thin strip of sand between the water. You can take your own cooler of drinks and lay down a beach towel in PDC without being harassed or charged admission. And it's long enough to go for a run which I never see happening at the Coz beaches. East side beaches are scenic but between all the rocks and the rough waves, actually getting in the water is tricky.

IMG_8904.jpg

No matter what beach or beach club you chose on Coz, make sure your daughter and you bring your booties or water shoes. Everywhere the trucked-in sand ends as you wade out and the sharp coral rubble begins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom