Playas del Coco Costa Rica in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tacob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm considering going to the Playas del Coco area for an extended trip in October, but am concerned about the diving quality during the rainy season. Any thoughts or comments?

Because of the rainy seasons it is quiet concerning divers. However the visibility is great and the water is warm, it is a good time to dive if you don't mind rain. There are no rivers in Coco so no run-off that influences the visibility.

If you need more information don't hesitate to contact us!

Cheers
Kiki

As Kiki said, the diving is not really affected by the rain here and you can still get to Cats and Bats...well sometimes Bats. However it is REALLY rainy here. I mean monsoon style rain for a couple weeks. I try to escape from coco in Oct since the heavy rain means power outages, flooding on the streets and the beaches get a lot of trash runoff. But you will probably have a lot of boat space to yourself!

I think that Playas del Coco is one of the few places in the world where rain improves the visibility, so I wouldn´t worry too much about that. Normally the rain is unreal during October, but Costa Rica is having a very mild season this year, so for those fews hours that you´re not underwater :D it shouldn´t be so bad. As for diving operations, I would recommend diving with Summer Salt Dive Center. They´re located right by the beach and ¨downtown¨Coco. I recently went diving with them and had the time of my life! The staff was super-friendly, helpful and experienced. And the boat was comfortable, fast and filled with really good snacks and juices. I wish you the best on your trip!

Thanks for the replies. I'm doing my diving with Deep Blue -- I'll give a trip report when I get back (and maybe while I am there). I'm excited -- three more days of work, then a flight to Costa Rica, then 10 days of diving. Woo hoo!!

Around October your choices to avoid rain are extremely reduced, the Caribbean side is probably best to find a fair amount of sun at that time of the year in general. Although, I'd rather recommend the Caribbean Islands for "Caribbean Diving"...
It's been said before, the Northern Nicoya Peninsula (from Flamingo to Playas del Coco) has no major river-runoffs, all of the rainwater flows down the Tempisque river to the Gulf of Nicoya.
This year, however (it seems El Nino plays its role), the weather has been extremely dry with hardly a thunderstorm every few days...And the meteorologues predict the climat to stay like this until the real dry season.
Just to say that the nice-weather-, clear-, calm- and warm-water season has continued through the whole month of September and is suppost to not stop this year!
Enjoy diving in Costa Rica, Pura Vida

How´s the weather now? I´m heading into Costa Rica from Nicaragua and may try to get to Playas del Coco or somewhere near in the next day or so.

So what is the best time for going to the Bat Islands? If I were to go the first full week of November, think it would still be rainy? I'm thinking of going to Playa Hermosa again (was there in May of 2007) and trying to get to the Bat Islands, but not sure if that's still a viable time.

Hello Snorkymn,

How are you? The best time of the year to visit the Bat Islands is from May untill November, not because of the Bull Sharks, because they are there all year round, but because of the possibility of rough sea from December untill April. Don't mind the rain too much i'd say, it will rain only a few hours a day, if it rains in the first place at the beginning of November, and it doesn't have influence on the diving itself.

By the way, we arrange dive packages with hotels in Playa Hermosa and have free transportation from and to your hotel (by boat or by car) if needed.

Please let me know if you have any further questions I can help you out with.

Regards
Cindy

For great diving: Rich Coast Diving - Costa Rica Diving and Adventure

For good Costa Rica travel stories: Http://www.travelblog.org/bloggers/Martin-en-Brenda/

Facebook:Rich Coast Diving | Facebook

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom