Cocos island in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luca Brasi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone been to Cocos island, Costa Rica recently? I’m thinking of going in October. I read a review elsewhere that was just ok

Hello ,
just back from Cocos ( I was there with SeaHunter 18/9-28/9 )
El Nino affected the condition : not as many hammerdeads as usual .
Water temperature 28°C till 25-28m .
Anyway a good experience all in all ( ... tiger shark , whale shark , ... )
If you can better to wait for La Nina period .
hope this help .

That sounds similar to my trip in late August, early September this year. Even a "just ok" trip to Cocos is pretty darned good, though. The biggest change I saw from years past was that some of the species had changed locations. Tiger sharks were still around, just not necessarily in Manuelita Channel like in years past. The other panga(of course) spotted whales on their way out to several sites, something I'd never heard of before except on the crossing. Currents seemed more unpredictable too, although that may have been related more to the nearly full moon than El Nino. I'd say go and enjoy the trip.

I was on Ron's trip and I think I used my 5mm on maybe 3 dives. I only saw temps below 80F on 2 dives the entire trip. Most of the folks on my panga switched to skins and/or shorties in short order. I finished the week in a rashguard with a Lavacore vest and shorts and other than a couple brief thermoclines was fine.

Sounds like cocos isn’t as great as it once was. A friend told me he encountered almost no current recently. Maybe the conditions are now so drastically changing that dive environments will need to be reevaluated

Hello ,
just back from Cocos ( I was there with SeaHunter 18/9-28/9 )
El Nino affected the condition : not as many hammerdeads as usual .
Water temperature 28°C till 25-28m .
Anyway a good experience all in all ( ... tiger shark , whale shark , ... )
If you can better to wait for La Nina period .
hope this help .

Interesting. Never heard about a el neno / La Niña difference. Would love to hear more about this, both affecting Cocos and other places

Interesting. Never heard about a el neno / La Niña difference. Would love to hear more about this, both affecting Cocos and other places

on board my trip ( September 2023 ) there way a guy that was 25 times in Cocos ( yes , he is a professional film maker ) ..... he told me that this time the hammerheads action was not ad good as other time ( during La Nina period ) .
And consider anyway the best season in Cocos is August-October .
The dive master and cruise director told me the same .

As far as I know El Nino has strong impact in Galapagos as well : iguana population decrease a lot because their food ( alghe ) shortage because El Nino .

Back
Top Bottom