Plaza Resort in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Greetings Fellow Fishes!

Wondering if anyone has stayed at the Plaza Resort in Bonaire. Am looking at an all-inclusive package there: ( "Bonaire's newly renovated oceanfront dive resort now offers the only All-Inclusive package on Bonaire! Starting at $1250pp (dbl occ), you can now enjoy an inclusive dive package offering 7 nights in a standard suite Laguna, 7 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 7 dinners, 11 boat dive package, 6 day vehicle rental, insurance, tax and service charge and yes, drinks!" ).

Seems like a good deal! Haven't been to Bonaire before, but I understand alot of the diving is from the beach, so what do the boat excursions take you to that are worth the cost of the ride?

My wife is a non-diver/tentative snorkeller - is there much for her to see/do on Bonaire?

Thanks in advance!

DSD

I've just arrived from Bonaire, my group and I stayed at the Plaza Resort Bonaire and we thought it was very good and VERY big, the rooms were also big and most were newly renovated (Junior Marina View Suites) there were other rooms the (Junior Ocean View Suites) that were not newly renovated but still were pretty good.

Most of the rental gear from Toucan Diving is almost at the very end of their lifecycle, mainly Cressi stuff, however they're very polite and always willing to help, they have three boats and extra boat dives cost $25 each.

Nitrox and air is readily available, keep in mind that our group was about 120people.

The food at the restaurant is pretty good, I loved the hamburguers, the bolognese pasta and the chicken ceasar's salad, didn't even get near the Coconut Crash Bar since the B-O smell there was pretty bad, didn't eat at the Tipsy Seagull restaurant I thought it was expensive.

Keep in mind that I'm a 25year old fresh out of college coming from Venezuela (a third world country), so my standars are not necessarily high.

Carlos.

The Plaza resort dive and stay packages are tough to beat. However, you calling it the newly renovated ~ keep in mind the biggest issue with the Plaza and what seemed to really effect most people's vacation reviews with either a raving review or a thumbs down, was what room they stayed in. There was a time that the resort was renovating very slowly, one room at a time, the new rooms were wonderful and the unrenovated rooms were not so much. So it used to be to ensure a great vacation, you needed to pay for the upgrade to the renovated rooms. I caution you to figure this out. By now maybe everything is renovated, however things move very slowly on Bonaire....

The boat dives will mostly take you to the small island off Bonaire called Klein Bonaire, this will be the only way you will get to dive those dive sites around Klein. Occassionally the boat dive will also take you to one of the dive sites that is a shore dive that you could do from the shore, like the wreck the Hilma Hooker. It's nice to have the boat dives to break up the shore dives now and then, meet other divers, socialize a bit and see what Klein has to offer.

There is not a lot to do on Bonaire for a non-diver. Veg out, read a book, visit the national park, pet a donkey at the donkey zoo.. Bonaire is very Dive Centric, extremel Dive Centric location. It's about 98% all about the diving. The non-diver's mileage will vary greatly based upon their personality, how much it takes to keep them entertained. High maintenance? Forget it.

Hi,
wondering how you found out about that package. i am trying to plan a trip to bonaire to dive but going alone so a package deal sounds great and that price reasonable. thanks!

Hi,
wondering how you found out about that package. i am trying to plan a trip to bonaire to dive but going alone so a package deal sounds great and that price reasonable. thanks!

My wife just showed me an email on what I think is that package - I'm pretty sure it was through her PADI membership.

Bonaire is about water sports: diving,snorkeling, wind surfing and kite surfing. otherwise not a lot happening. if you're looking for other activities not mentioned above you have better choices. Plaza is a good choice for meal plans. Stayed their this past july and liked it more than I thought I would. if you think its a good deal it is. I personally wouldn't want a meal plan on bonaire but it is what it is :)
Diving is great and I will be back soon.

The breakfast buffet is a good idea and I get that included, but it is a lot of fun to get out in the evenings and try different places to eat.

Reactions: RJP
I've stayed at the Plaza before, going again soon. Ask for an updated room. The 6D (all inclusive) package is a good way to know what you'll be spending ahead of time, but Bonaire has so many great restaurants. If you're not much of a drinker I'd go with the 4D package and go to different restaurants at night. Plaza does offer a breakfast buffet package as well as a 6 or 11 boat dive package. You'll find it costs about the same either way.

I wouldn't do the all inclusive. As mentioned above the breakfast is a good idea. But I wouldn't want to have to come back every day at lunch when I could be out diving. Nor would I wanty to miss out on all the great places available for dinner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom