PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I contacted Light Monkey.This was their reply:

"We do indeed make canisters to house PLB's. The best way to guarantee fitment for it and the other items is to send the PLB unit/items to us so we can size the canister properly. Cost of the PLB canister is 250 USD, and includes canister, lid, all hardware, and lid tether. Each canister is essentially made around each individual's use and items, to ensure a proper and tidy fit."
They make REALLY good stuff, but $250?! Ouch!
I wonder if we have them a standardized setup of an ACR model PLB or the rescueme which seem to be the popular ones then some other standard kit to fit (flourescine dye, mylar blanket, 2 glow sticks) if they would make a larger order to get the price down. 250 is pretty harsh for an empty canister.

If I didn’t have a real job, i’d consider calling Joel or Corey and asking if they’d do a bull run of canisters, call ACR and ask about a bulk order of PLB’s, get some bulk glow sticks and dye packs, and put kits together.

The problem is that neither the can nor the PLB are cheap, and getting people to buy them will be difficult. I’m not real keen on laying out 10 grand to make up 20 of these kits hoping people buy them.

Again, not to be too much of a recreational noob here, but there are 1000 factories in China churning out scuba torches, go-pro diving cases, and all sorts of items, and fairly cost-effectively. We can jury rig stuff forever. Heck, army side 30 years ago we made dual magazines out of paracord and electrical tape, and whittling all sorts of custom attachments. There was no such monsters readily available. Nowadays, there are 100 manufacturers making them every way you can imagine. We went to an occasional trade show to say "this is what we want" and generally got it, quickly. Granted, the military pays more... On the fire and ambulance side, we went and asked for a type of mount and found somewhere to say they can make it. the price worked out, everyone's happy.

Agreed with Johnny, it's not like I can front this personally. But also sounds like an excellent product line for someone already making and marketing these. Or, say, an add-on, prepurchase, etc.. on a Surge, via DAN, etc.. Now, networking with them... OK, who's "big" enough to literally email or call up and just ask? The community and sport is advancing enough that it's an item that can be sold, reasonably, and not as custom one-off's. It's also generally expensive enough, that if it's a reasonably packaged item it's not thaaaaat much more on top of everything else.

If I could go ClickClickClick, there would already be one on it's way via Amazon/DHL.

Again, not to be too much of a recreational noob here, but there are 1000 factories in China churning out scuba torches, go-pro diving cases, and all sorts of items, and fairly cost-effectively. We can jury rig stuff forever. Heck, army side 30 years ago we made dual magazines out of paracord and electrical tape, and whittling all sorts of custom attachments. There was no such monsters readily available. Nowadays, there are 100 manufacturers making them every way you can imagine. We went to an occasional trade show to say "this is what we want" and generally got it, quickly. Granted, the military pays more... On the fire and ambulance side, we went and asked for a type of mount and found somewhere to say they can make it. the price worked out, everyone's happy.

Agreed with Johnny, it's not like I can front this personally. But also sounds like an excellent product line for someone already making and marketing these. Or, say, an add-on, prepurchase, etc.. on a Surge, via DAN, etc.. Now, networking with them... OK, who's "big" enough to literally email or call up and just ask? The community and sport is advancing enough that it's an item that can be sold, reasonably, and not as custom one-off's. It's also generally expensive enough, that if it's a reasonably packaged item it's not thaaaaat much more on top of everything else.

If I could go ClickClickClick, there would already be one on it's way via Amazon/DHL.
Same here.

It kinda boggles my mind that there is a PAB rated for 300m in case submariners have to evacuate from a submarine. Those submariners must be really good to do EFSA from 300m! But shouldn’t they have a PLB when they reach the surface?

It hasn't been my experience but I guess I was always floating down wind. Not giving it up though as it can certainly still be heard and it's far easier than blowing my whistle.

I've had the same experience. We were within visual sight of the tender and could see they weren't looking in our direction. The guide waved his DSMB, no luck, so we started with whistles, no luck. I tried the DiveAlert, no luck. They didn't come looking for us until around the time they expected us to surface. (We surfaced much sooner than expected due to fighting unexpected currents.)

Reminder for those with Nautilus Lifeline's:

firmware v0.57 manual...

"The Nautilus Lifeline is a peripheral computing device. To prolong the life of your battery, you must charge your
unit after every 6 months of inactivity. Over time, battery life may decrease as a result of inactivity."

firmware v1.02 manual removed this info and only talks about battery replacement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom