PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed. Unanticipated and compounding events is our nemesis. I'm live-boating on a drift dive when the boat hits a submerged log and sinks. The outboard may not start as I'm drifting out to sea. My PLB might not work that day. Whitey is overly curious and hungry. Of course I could also be hit by a truck while walking to the store.
or die of a blood clot no one saw coming.

Everyone of us has different views on signalling devices. Pointless buying something unless you can and do carry it. I carry the following:
1) air horn - mounted on inflator hose
2) torch - clipped on right shoulder D-ring
3) SMB - right pocket of tech pants
4) PLB - left pocket of tech pants
5) PAB - left pocket of tech pants
6) signal mirror - left pocket of tech pants

I could easily carry more signalling devices, but I think I have most of the bases covered. Hopefully, I'll never have to reach into the left pocket.

Good point!

I now reduce my signaling devices down to the 6 items on your list, plus a knife.

After discussing with liveaboard operators that issue PAB for their guess, my SOP is to use it in the first hour of lost at sea. I do carry a spare battery in a waterproof zipped bag & small screwdriver for the PAB for extended operation.

I do carry a spare battery in a waterproof zipped bag & small screwdriver for the PAB for extended operation.

I'm pretty sure I would drop the screwdriver, the screw, or get the battery wet if I was trying to do this while bobbing around lost at sea. Not sure I would count on that plan.

PLBs and EPIRBs transmit the main signal on 406 MHz. Some (maybe all) also transit on 121.5 MHz which was the main aviation ELT frequency for many years. People may want to read the following and talk to appropriate agencies before activating an EPIRB and throwing it in the water to track the currents. I doubt many people buy a unit without integral GPS.

NOAA - Search and Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking - Beacon Testing

That is why I suggested a Spot. It is limited to about 24 hours but if you have a huge effort out, a boat could reach it and substitute the battery or Spot unit as appropriate.

Personally, this would be a good time to try it since it may provide useful information and you could hone techniques if another similar event occurs.

I'm pretty sure I would drop the screwdriver, the screw, or get the battery wet if I was trying to do this while bobbing around lost at sea. Not sure I would count on that plan.

That could happen to me too, but it’s still better than not having them when you need it. They are 2 Lithium 123, very small batteries, take very small space in the BCD pocket.

The batteries in the PAB could go bad during testing the unit while I’m in the boat preparing for the dives. These are special batteries. So it’s good to have spares on hand.

Same applies to my dive computers. I carry spare batteries and special battery replacement tools for them too.

It is worth pointing out the importance of coupling the PLB to the buoy.

Most/many PLBs require unfolding an antenna before activating and keeping it above water to effectively transmit. The obvious answer for divers is to be prepared to physically secure the PLB to the top of the DSMB or safety sausage. Unfortunately not all buoys have places to tie into the top. Even if it does, the diver needs to add a means of securing the PLB to the buoy.
Well I would attach the PLB to me.
Why won’t you put the PLB1 with float pouch in the canister? Is the space too small for it?

I still prefer my $10 see-through PLB1 case :D

View attachment 510822
Me too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom