PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My initial post may have been misleading. The tape you can see on the side of the DAN 6' Signaling Sausage (DSMB) is light reflective. Radar reflectivity comes from separate panels inside. My comments about the effectiveness of detecting it on Radar are unchanged.

Includes
  • 6-foot orange sausage with 2-inch reflective strip on both sides
  • Radar reflective panel located inside the tube
  • Purge valve
  • Low-pressure inflator attachment
  • Velcro mesh storage pocket
  • Secondary lift bag with 30lb lift capacity
  • Velcro safety strap
  • Three ways to inflate:
    • Orally
    • Connecting to low-pressure inflator hose
    • Purge second stage into the bottom opening of the signaling device
562.jpg

My initial post may have been misleading. The tape you can see on the side of the DAN 6' Signaling Sausage (DSMB) is light reflective. Radar reflectivity comes from a separate panel inside. My comments about the effectiveness of detecting it on Radar are unchanged.

Includes
  • 6-foot orange sausage with 2-inch reflective strip on both sides
  • Radar reflective panel located inside the tube
  • Purge valve
  • Low-pressure inflator attachment
  • Velcro mesh storage pocket
  • Secondary lift bag with 30lb lift capacity
  • Velcro safety strap
  • Three ways to inflate:
    • Orally
    • Connecting to low-pressure inflator hose
    • Purge second stage into the bottom opening of the signaling device
Do you know perchance what the material inside is?

They make REALLY good stuff, but $250?! Ouch!

Yes, that is expensive. However it is important to keep in mind that a housing will likely outlast several generations of PLBs. With that in mind it may be wise to have a housing that is larger than required since your next PLBs may be a little large in one critical dimension.

Do you know perchance what the material inside is?

Good question. I went in the shop and looked at it. I can say the material is pretty flexible and is heat sealed inside the tube. There are two strips about 24" x 2" (630mm x 50 mm). There is a little added rigidity in those areas but there is no way to tell how much is from the radar reflective material rather than the additional layer of material that heat seals it to the inside, which you can see when holding the inflated tube up to a bright light. The light reflective strip that is down both sides also adds a little stiffness.

The larger size is the main factor in my preference for my smaller 5'/1500mm DSMB than the stiffness (which is also narrower). I'll try to post some comparative images in the next few days. I have pretty well decided to switch to the DAN buoy.

I've got an HDVSEATEK canister, and I don't care for it. It requires regular maintenance/lubrication to keep it dry. Mcmurdo makes an aluminum canister that's better but quite a bit more expensive. I saw a post on SB where someone was keeping their PLB in an old camera housing (I think it was some kind of point&shoot film camera housing). The hdvseatek is also kind of big, but it does the job when properly maintained
My HDVSEATEK has served me well for years; just lub the o-ring with silicone grease like you do on lights, etc. and change the o-ring every two or three years. Can't beat the $100 price including shipping! The Mcmurdo is not only expensive, but heavy carrying to & from the boat, and - seems to be discontinued. The camera housing example has been posted with photos earlier here.

There have been plenty of times where I've seen the boat but they were looking in the wrong spot for 30 mins and it would be nice to tell them to turn around.
Do you have a Dive Alert inline air horn? If I can see them, they can hear me.

Good question. I went in the shop and looked at it. I can say the material is pretty flexible and is heat sealed inside the tube. There are two strips about 24" x 2" (630mm x 50 mm). There is a little added rigidity in those areas but there is no way to tell how much is from the radar reflective material rather than the additional layer of material that heat seals it to the inside, which you can see when holding the inflated tube up to a bright light. The light reflective strip that is down both sides also adds a little stiffness.

The larger size is the main factor in my preference for my smaller 5'/1500mm DSMB than the stiffness (which is also narrower). I'll try to post some comparative images in the next few days. I have pretty well decided to switch to the DAN buoy.
Your mention of heating sealing it in has me wondering if it is not just a metallic material.

Just cut it open, it is for science after all. ;-)

It is worth pointing out the importance of coupling the PLB to the buoy.

Most/many PLBs require unfolding an antenna before activating and keeping it above water to effectively transmit. The obvious answer for divers is to be prepared to physically secure the PLB to the top of the DSMB or safety sausage. Unfortunately not all buoys have places to tie into the top. Even if it does, the diver needs to add a means of securing the PLB to the buoy.

Back
Top Bottom