PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PLB is not intended for diver. You can’t take ACR ResQLink down to deeper than 33 feet (10m) for more than 10 min without waterproof case. That’s why people here are talking about getting Light Monkey canister to put their PLB in it.

Canister Parts

I travel to all over the world for my recreational diving vacation, carrying my diver gears and underwater camera equipment with me. I don’t want to carry heavy & bulky stuff around if I have a choice for lighter & compact ones. That’s why I pick PLB1 with the $10 old camera case (from eBay) that is good to 131 feet (40m). It’s been working fine for 2.5 years, 200+ dives & down to as deep as 144 feet (44m).

View attachment 513281 View attachment 513282

Since I believe you own both a nautilus and the plb1 when would be your personal use for each? Or do you always carry both?

Slightly off to
If, but with the GPS date rollover happening this weekend, I queried ACR tech support to see if the GPS in their PLB would be affected, a very quick response, I cannot attach the PDF they sent but have copied and pasted the contents below

SERVICE INFORMATION LETTER
ACR Electronics, Inc.▪ 5757 Ravenswood RD ▪ Fort Lauderdale FL 33312 ▪ www.acrartex.com ▪ (954)981-3333
Date: April 2, 2019 Number: SIL4012
ACR Electronics, Inc., ACR, ARTEX, the ACR cross symbol, the ARTEX propeller symbol, ELT 345: 1000: 3000: 4000: B406: C406: C406-N: C406-NHM: G406: ME406: ME406HM are all trademarks owned by ACR Electronics, Inc.; and no trademark license is granted in connection with this document unless provided in writing by ACR Electronics, Inc.
Original Date: February 22, 2019 Revision #: B
Form #03-CS-06-03A
Document Number: SIL4012 Page 1 of 3 Copyright © 2018
Copyright © 2018 ACR Electronics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

1. SUBJECT:
GPS Week Number Rollover
2. SUMMARY:
This Service Information Letter addresses the upcoming GPS Week Rollover on April 6, 2019 and the operation of ACR product which utilize GPS receivers.
3. MODELSAFFECTEDBYTHISNOTICE:
Product Model
Brand Names
Type
PLB-350
Aqualink, Aqualink View, SARLink, SARLink View
PLB
PLB-375
ResQLink, ResQLink+
PLB
RLB-36
GlobalFix iPro
EPIRB
RLB-37
GlobalFix Pro
EPIRB
RLB-41
GlobalFix V4
EPIRB
SLB-2000
PLB
SOS-300
SARLink
PLB+ Iridium
PLB 400/425
ResQLink400, ResQLink View
PLB
MOB1
AISLink MOB
AIS MOB
--
AISLink CB1
Class B AIS
4. APPLICABILITY:
All listed ACR Products. ARTEX ELT models are not affected.
5. REFERENCES:
MEMORANDUM FOR U.S. OWNERS AND OPERATORS USING GPS TO OBTAIN UTC TIME
https://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Memorandum_on_GPS_2019.pdf
6. BACKGROUND:
The GPS Week Rollover is an event which the GPS Satellite system resets the counter for the week number, thus affecting the calculation of the current date. This occurs every 1024 weeks (~19.7 years). Most GPS receivers have adapted and have firmware to correctly calculate UTC time and date. Older GPS receivers may not accommodate this reset and could result in a direct impact on using the Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), and possibly affect the location reported by the GPS receiver.
The GPS Week Number parameter is a ten-bit value in the range 0-1023, repeating every 1024 weeks. Week 0 started at 00:00:00 UTC on Sunday, 6th January 1980, so the week number 'rolled
Form #03-CS-06-03A
Document Number: SIL4012 Page 2 of 3 Copyright © 2018

over from 1023 to 0 at 23:59:47 UTC on Saturday, 21st August 1999. This week number rollover will occur again on the 6th April 2019.
The US Department of Homeland Security have released a memorandum titled “U.S. Owners and Operators Using GPS to Obtain Time,” which is intended to provide an understanding of the possible effects of the issue.
7. ACTION: ACR has taken measures to verify that the GPS Week Rollover will not be an issue with our recent products listed in this SIL. These products are not adversely affected by the GPS Week Number Rollover and will operate as designed. The method of verification was established by GPS receiver vendor declaration, product testing, or initial product certifications.
8. EFFECTIVITY: Immediate
Contact ACR Electronics, Inc. at 954-981-3333 or visit our website www.acrartex.com to learn more about our products and support network.
Form #03-CS-06-03A
Document Number: SIL4012 Page 3 of 3 Copyright © 2018

Dan have you tried the new reqlink 400 in that sony case?

No, but it looks too big for that camera case. It has 4.52” (L) x 2.03” (W) x 1.49” (D) compare to PLB1 3.0” (L) x 2.1” (W) x 1.3” (D). Definitely ResQLink 400 will be too big in terms of length & depth.

Since I believe you own both a nautilus and the plb1 when would be your personal use for each? Or do you always carry both?

I usually carry both. You just never know what would happen in the open sea.

The last 4 liveaboard diving trips (Palau Aggressor II, Argo to Cocos, Maldives Aggressor II & Nautilus Undersea to Socorro) loaned the Nautilus to their guests at free of charge, so I didn’t take mine to the boats, just used theirs plus my PLB1.

Having struck-out on every clamshell style case that I could find that was appropriately depth-rated, and not wanting to spend $500 for a couple light-monkey canisters, I went treasure hunting at NESS ...

Turns out a Underwater Kinetics C8 light should give me a workable 2"+ dia x 6" canister rated for 150m.
anet-uk-international-underwater-kinetics-sunlight-c8-xenon-uk-sunlight-c8-xenon-lights-sun-main.jpg

The internal shape is quasi-octagonal with some alignment ribs that will need shaving with a chisel to gain maximum clear space. I think I will be good with the new ResQLink 400s/Views at 4.52" x 2.03" x 1.49" - they also have rounded edges, which should help. (Does anybody in the greater Philly area have one yet that I could check fit with?)

A black one for $15 from NESS in hand and a yellow eBay one for $16 (delivered) on its way ...

I'll be removing and the switch and sealing the hole, cutting off the handle but leaving enough there to anchor a lanyard or ring there.
I also have 2 sets of lockable belt clips to mount on the sides (where the to-be-sanded-off C8 logo is)

Since I'm waiting for component to arrive and have some upcoming commitments, I probably won't have a chance to get to fabbing until after Easter, but I will report back with results ...

This is where I ended up. It sucks, the camera case is bigger and the buttons protrude more than I expected. It will work for now, but I got my father in law on the prowl up in Detroit now looking for a machinist that can make us some depth rated containers :D

Camera case was $35 on eBay including shipping. Right now West Marine has a sweet deal on a ditch bag that comes with signal mirror, strobe and the ResQ link 2881 (shown below). They are out of stock of course and I needed mine by tomorrow, but you can get them online and have them shipped to you in 7-10 days. The unit itself is $289 and the ditch bag is only $299. Pretty sweet deal.

unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

Reactions: Dan
I'm also working on making my own acrylic canister with a local plastic machine shop. Here is a rough drawing for it.

FC1E027F-17D8-4D75-9E87-626A929D05E9.jpeg

The internal cavity would be about 2.5” ID & 3.25” H to fit the PLB1 with its floating pouch, as shown below. The case OD would be 3.0” & height = 4.5”

0C8A1374-4A78-4743-BBF5-232576ACC645.jpeg

Similar concept to what @Akimbo has posted earlier in post #169 in page 17 for McMurdo FastFind PLB, below.

0AE43DF1-AF0D-4724-9789-654B3920E498.jpeg

My rough cost estimate would be about $50 +/- $10. Let me know if anyone else is interested to get such case. The more we get to make, the cheaper it’ll be as I need to buy the materials such as 2.5” ID x 3.0” OD acrylic tube by foot long, $64.89/ft from ePlastics.com, Shopping. For a foot long tube, I can make 3 of these cases.

This is where I ended up. It sucks, the camera case is bigger and the buttons protrude more than I expected. It will work for now, but I got my father in law on the prowl up in Detroit now looking for a machinist that can make us some depth rated containers :D

Camera case was $35 on eBay including shipping. Right now West Marine has a sweet deal on a ditch bag that comes with signal mirror, strobe and the ResQ link 2881 (shown below). They are out of stock of course and I needed mine by tomorrow, but you can get them online and have them shipped to you in 7-10 days. The unit itself is $289 and the ditch bag is only $299. Pretty sweet deal.

View attachment 513451

View attachment 513452

BTW, I gutted out as much internal pieces as possible without compromising the sealing integrity in order to get more room and simplify the internal from possible interference, unscrewing & disassembling some of internal bracket & padding.

I'm also working on making my own acrylic canister with a local plastic machine shop. Here is a rough drawing for it. View attachment 513458

The internal cavity would be about 2.5” ID & 3.25” H to fit the PLB1 with its floating pouch, as shown below. The case OD would be 3.0” & height = 4.5”

View attachment 513459

Similar concept to what @Akimbo has posted earlier in post #169 in page 17 for McMurdo FastFind PLB, below.

View attachment 513463

My rough cost estimate would be about $50 +/- $10. Let me know if anyone else is interested to get such case. The more we get to make, the cheaper it’ll be as I need to buy the materials such as 2.5” ID x 3.0” OD acrylic tube by foot long, $64.89/ft from eplastic.com. For a foot long tube, I can make 3 of these cases.

I'd get rid of the threaded hole in the bottom. 1/8" (~3mm) is not very thick. I'd be concerned that it may be too thin for a pressure vessel in acrylic once you've cut threads in the surrounding material. Acrylic camera housings are injection moulded, they don't have stress risers like those that occur when you drill and tap holes into a facing structure like your design.

If nothing else, I'd pressure pot test the thing beyond your planned depth just to make sure.

Reactions: Dan
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom