PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been looking at the PLB1 from Ocean Signal which has now been acquired by Artex the same company that owns the ACR line. Is there another one that I should be considering such as the ACR PLB 400 that @MaxE just mentioned? What are the primary differences? Any other ones that I should look at? Thanks!

When is your next dive with it? I would love feedback on integrity and how it all "fits" and feels with your gear as you dive. :) Thanks!
Hopefully I’ll get it all wet next month. I’m not sure how it will do in the wetsuit pocket I have glued on, if it down not feel good there I’ll go to the waist belt on the BPW. I don’t see why the canister would not hold up as expected, but unless it’s it totally fails it should be fine.

The large seatek canister fits the acr 400, a glowsticks, paracord, solar blanket and has a bit of room for some snacks. I use the hollis mask pouch to store it and the nautilus .

Hopefully I’ll get it all wet next month. I’m not sure how it will do in the wetsuit pocket I have glued on, if it down not feel good there I’ll go to the waist belt on the BPW. I don’t see why the canister would not hold up as expected, but unless it’s it totally fails it should be fine.
That particular canister has a multitude of reviews stating leaks and failures, I assume that was the reason for this inquiry

That particular canister has a multitude of reviews stating leaks and failures, I assume that was the reason for this inquiry

Many leaks and failures with items including o-rings are often due to user error but I do wonder if there is something structurally not sound with the design or manufacturing which is also contributing. I'll have to look into this and think about it some more after doing research. Thanks for the heads up!

Many leaks and failures with items including o-rings are often due to user error but I do wonder if there is something structurally not sound with the design or manufacturing which is also contributing. I'll have to look into this and think about it some more after doing research. Thanks for the heads up!
I dont disagree that user error is possible for some if not most of the failures. We are however talking about users who most likely operate more sophisticated equipment underwater while diving and are savvy or educated enough to purchase proper safety equipment ie PLB, so I would think it might be a design or quality control issue. Cant say one way or the other for sure, but that lead me to go the HDVseatek canister route. Took a bit to ship from Australia, but he sent an extra o ring as requested and it is a solid PC of equipment. Best of luck in your search

I've been looking at the PLB1 from Ocean Signal which has now been acquired by Artex the same company that owns the ACR line. Is there another one that I should be considering such as the ACR PLB 400 that @MaxE just mentioned? What are the primary differences? Any other ones that I should look at? Thanks!

One difference is dimension:
PLB1
  • Unit Size: 2.0"W x 3.0 "H x1.3 “D
PLB400
  • Unit Size: 2.0"W x 4.5 "H x1.5 “D
Both should fit in canister with ID = 2.5” H = 5”

I measured my PLB1 and learnt that the above dimensions are a bit bigger than the actual device. I now am trying to fit it into a smaller canister with ID of 2”. After a bit of shaving off the antenna pull tab and corners, I think it should fit in that smaller canister without the float pouch. I’ll just tether the PLB1 with its float pouch & put them in tandem (by stuffing the float pouch on top of the PLB1. Both should fit in 2” ID x 5” H. Just sent my drawing to the plastic machine shop today. It’ll be fabricated in 2 weeks. The canister outside dimension will be 2.5” OD x 6” H.

70E86354-D814-4F79-B750-8D85D2770752.jpeg

One difference is dimension:
PLB1
  • Unit Size: 2.0"W x 3.0 "H x1.3 “D
PLB400
  • Unit Size: 2.0"W x 4.5 "H x1.5 “D
Both should fit in canister with ID = 2.5” H = 5”

Thanks. It looks like built in buoyancy is in the PLB400. All else regarding transmission and frequencies/satellites are the same? I am most concerned about the actual back end side of how my rescue would play out if I transmitted with one vs. the other.

I have the Custom Divers canister and can confirm the following problems with my unit:

1. If you over tighten when you close it, it is almost impossible to open.

2. The unit leaks slightly. I’d say a little less than a teaspoon of water enters the canister over a dive trip. I’ve gotten used to it and it does not bother me now. My PLB is water resistant to 10m (?) and the little water that finds its way into the canister does not appear to be too detrimental.

YMMV

I have the Custom Divers canister and can confirm the following problems with my unit:

1. If you over tighten when you close it, it is almost impossible to open.

2. The unit leaks slightly. I’d say a little less than a teaspoon of water enters the canister over a dive trip. I’ve gotten used to it and it does not bother me now. My PLB is water resistant to 10m (?) and the little water that finds its way into the canister does not appear to be too detrimental.

YMMV
I concur with #1, just sitting here at my desk!
I'll report on #2 at the end of next month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom