PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was sitting here wondering if 9ne of those baofang Chinese handheld radios would be a "better" solution. They are what 50 or 60 bucks?

Goes to see what frequencies they work on....

Looks like it covers the marine radio bands as well as the uv-5x is "waterproof" so it would need to live in a dry case until needed... But could give you two comms if needed...
They are only $24 on Amazon Prime right now. Baofeng UV-5R.

They are only $24 on Amazon Prime right now. Baofeng UV-5R.
Buy two, they're cheap. Lol

The drybox/case would be the trouble and expense I imagine. I am sure it's an oddball size and wouldn't fit a standard drybox. Lol

I think that range is for two highly elevated antennas....the signal itself is still only slightly better than line-of-sight. A diver at sea level has much less range...2-3 miles would be exceptional between a diver and an antenna on a dive boat. For an antenna at 100 ft height (not your average dive boat!), the range to the horizon is only about 12 miles, so the radio range at AIS frequencies (VHF) would be slightly better than that.
Since Nautilus advertises the 34 mile range pretty prominently I'll be expecting an explanation from them. If and when I get one I'll pass it along. I just sent the E mail and won't be holding my breath.

I think that range is for two highly elevated antennas....the signal itself is still only slightly better than line-of-sight. A diver at sea level has much less range...2-3 miles would be exceptional between a diver and an antenna on a dive boat. For an antenna at 100 ft height (not your average dive boat!), the range to the horizon is only about 12 miles, so the radio range at AIS frequencies (VHF) would be slightly better than that.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^*^^^^*****^^^
VHF will do better than line of site if decently powered. But one watt on the ocean surface? I think you would be lucky to Get a mile out of that. Probably a few hundred meters. 5 watts UHF to a satellite directly above seems like to be a better deal all the way around. Especially with your life potentially on the line. IMHO.

Cool pictures, other than the DSMb and the reel, can you tell the class what you brought for show and tell?..

Strobe, glow stick with 6' string, PAB with spare battery, mirror, flashlight, wistle, Dive Alert (not in shown in the picture but it attacts to my power inflator), PLB, dye marker, snorkel, 6' robe with clip

Since Nautilus advertises the 34 mile range pretty prominently I'll be expecting an explanation from them. If and when I get one I'll pass it along. I just sent the E mail and won't be holding my breath.
If you dig into those numbers the 34 miles comes from communication to a shore station with a very high antenna, NOT the situation for a diver drifting at sea.

Buy two, they're cheap. Lol

The drybox/case would be the trouble and expense I imagine. I am sure it's an oddball size and wouldn't fit a standard drybox. Lol
The unit itself if not quite 2.5 by 4.5 by 1.3 inches, less mounted antenna, which is about 6 inches long. You can ge shorter antennas. Perfectly plausible to put in a small case/canister.

If you dig into those numbers the 34 miles comes from communication to a shore station with a very high antenna, NOT the situation for a diver drifting at sea.
I just asked them to describe their testing method used to get their claimed range. They might tell me, or they might not.

Does anyone know anything about the following plb? It mentions 300m ...

Crewsafe V200
That's impressive! But I imagine the cost is unreasonable, since it is designed for rescue from submarines....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom