PLB's Work!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oerentals

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I thought I would share something that happened last week - Last Friday I was awoken early in the morning by phone calls first from the Air Force and then Coast Guard.  After bouncing around the system talking to various people, I soon found that one of our rental PLBs was activated, and they were contacting us as registered owners.

Turns out, the renter was traveling alone off the coast of Florida when his vessel began to take on water.  Knowing he wouldn't make it back to shore, he was able to get a cell phone signal and call (911 I think).  He was connected to search and rescue but they were having trouble getting his exact location.  They asked if he had a PLB, and to go ahead and activate it.  Within seconds, they had the GPS coordinates and locked onto  the homing radio signal, and were able to find him.He was towed ashore, and is safe and sound!  First time in our short history that one of our devices was actually used for a rescue, and I'm happy to say the ACR ResQlink worked flawlessly!

Brilliant and reassuring to know, I have bought a diver portable submersible AIS (PLB) from McMurdo which I always carry in my BC or Drysuit pocket when diving in UK waters. Always considered it would be useful not just for lost diver/seperation but if the boat suffered a mechanical failure and was rendered incapable of makin gprogress on its own.

PERSONAL AIS BEACON

I don't know if these are available outside UK?

Cheers - P

Glad to hear it!!!

Here in Palau with my McMurdo Fastfind in its Dive Canister, the same unit I've had for six years. . .

If I have to deploy it internationally outside the US, at the very least they should track/find my gear & wetnotes log --if not my body-- in a couple of weeks. . .

Brilliant and reassuring to know, I have bought a diver portable submersible AIS (PLB) from McMurdo which I always carry in my BC or Drysuit pocket when diving in UK waters. Always considered it would be useful not just for lost diver/seperation but if the boat suffered a mechanical failure and was rendered incapable of makin gprogress on its own.

PERSONAL AIS BEACON

I don't know if these are available outside UK?

Cheers - P
What you link to is a AIS unit, much like a Nautilus Lifeline, minus the VHF part (I would prefer to first call for assistance, unless calling in a May Day). It has a limited range and does not communicate via satellites. Therefore I would not call it an EPIRB, just so others are clear. Automatic Identification System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Resqlink + is on my shopping list.

Is what you refer to as a PLB the same as an EPIRB? EPIRBs have been helping locate vessels in distress for some time. I guess I'm not familiar with PLBs, but I was under the impression that's what the Nautilus Lifeline is.

The Nautilus Lifeline is a VHF radio with built in GPS and DSC calling. A PLB is a small 406 MHz/121.5 KHz signaling device. The first one works line of sight to another VHF radio, handy if you can still see the boat, but they can't see you. The second works to a worldwide network of satellites to let search and rescue know exactly where you are. If there is a search and rescue facility in the country you happen to be lost in. Each has it's benefits. In first world countries, I'd prefer the PLB. In places where they don't launch rescue boats when it's too rough, I'd prefer the radio.

---------- Post Merged at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:06 PM ----------

What you link to is a AIS unit, much like a Nautilus Lifeline, minus the VHF part (I would prefer to first call for assistance, unless calling in a May Day). It has a limited range and does not communicate via satellites. Therefore I would not call it an EPIRB, just so others are clear. Automatic Identification System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Resqlink + is on my shopping list.

AIS is neither a PLB nor a VHF radio, but a method for ships to see each other while at sea or underway, kind of like the air traffic controller uses at the airport to see airplanes. It works on Channel 70 VHF. That McMurdo AIS beacon is a cracking bit of kit, but works only if a passing ship is equipped to receive AIS. I know of only 2 dive boats in the US that are so equipped. That doesn't mean that there aren't more.

I thought channel 70 was DSC only? My point was both a Nautilus and AIS operate on the VHF frequencies and therefore have limited range. I do not know if the range is further for an AIS signal? Maybe the ships since being taller could see it from a larger distance though. Although it should go the same for DSC.

If you want the best chance of being rescued anywhere in the world though an EPIRB (P-EPRIB, PLB) will be necessary. As I said, a Resqlink + is on my shopping list. We already have nice lifejackets, and I carry my Nautilus attached to me. My boat has an 8ft whip and DSC too.

Wookie and Peter_C, so what is an EPIRB? What Wookie describes as a "PLB" (satellite based) is what I had long thought was an EPIRB. Are PLBs sort of the next generation of EPIRB or what?

-----

Okay, before hitting "Post" I decided to do the work and Google it myself. NOAA NOAA - Search and Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking - Emergency Beacons says that EPIRBs are marine, and PLBs are more land-based. They apparently work in a similar manner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom