Please Help Save the Future of Sharks at Bimini island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I understand what you mean. Bahamian government is corrupted and is hard to persuade them of protection of environment. Bimini Bay Resort presents a lot of money, good economical situation for government so there's no doubt that it was easy to make a decision to allow Mr Capo to build his resort.
And who will profit from that all? Capo and government...Is this project worth building?
Yes for them not for Biminites or environment there.

How can we stop it?

As near as I can tell, this project is supported by many of the Bimini locals. Even if they were not hired in the construction role (from which they probably weren't well qualified anyway), there will be long-term employment for maintenance of these homes and the associated grounds/buildings. Also any ancillary businesses.

Local environmental programs usually require a large local buy-in to get off the ground. In this particular case, there doesn't seem to be nearly enough local support to halt construction. More like the reverse, actually. The lack of BNT involvement in this issue is also very significant. They're the equivalent of the U.S. EPA.

It's hard enough getting the National Marine Reserve system up. That's where most of the environmental pressure by individuals and NGO's is being focused.
http://www.bahamapundit.com/2006/01/what_happened_t.html

I don't think that most of Biminites support Bimini Bay Project. Believe me that there's a lot of locals who don't wish to have Bimini Bay Resort on their island. And If some of them agree with this project that's only because of Capo's empty promises. Also he promised that the project will be environmental friendly, that impacts on the environment will be minimal. And then locals didn't have a reason to refuse Capo's investment. They've seen big money in this project, maybe better future, but reality is different. When you visit Alice town it looks like ghost town, there's no tourists, Biminites do nothing, restaurants are empty. Interest of visitors about this town is very law. And why? Because there is Bimini Bay Resort and Bimini Sands!
I would also like to point out the fact that locals have now about 2 km long space for living. Is that normal? In front of entrance to the North Bimini is big gate to the resort, also access to the beaches there is almost impossible. Anyway the only one demonstration of residents was probably just due to this gate.

And why Biminites don't protest against that all? Maybe from the fear and maybe because they aren't enough informed about the project, about disastrous destruction. However, I am think they've started to find out what's happened with their own island and don't know how to say stop "we don't want to another removal of mangroves". It's not easy for them to see burning trees every day.

It's really sad that Bimini isn't Marine Protected Area as Ingraham government wanted it.

I am really curious what people from BNT are doing when they aren't able to protect natural resourses of Bimini. What's their role in conservation of Bahamas? The best thing how to find out it, will be to ask them, maybe I'll try it...

Thanks for link

Just signed the petition . Thanks for all the info from yourself and Archman will do my best to pester the BNT. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.
Joe B

Blacktip shark:
And why Biminites don't protest against that all? Maybe from the fear and maybe because they aren't enough informed about the project, about disastrous destruction. However, I am think they've started to find out what's happened with their own island and don't know how to say stop "we don't want to another removal of mangroves". It's not easy for them to see burning trees every day.

Well, the educational level in the Bahamas is quite low. The majority of the Commonwealth's citizens stop their education at the equivalent of the U.S. 9th grade level. You can guess how much basic science gets imparted. Most Out-Islands are fortunate to have a single public library.

Bahamian culture is also fairly conservative and courteous. Complaining to the government about an arguably philosophical "land-use issue" is not really in most peoples' nature.

I am really curious what people from BNT are doing when they aren't able to protect natural resourses of Bimini. What's their role in conservation of Bahamas? The best thing how to find out it, will be to ask them, maybe I'll try it...
The BNT is rather unique in the world, in that it is essentially funded from soft money. That's right, the nation's environmental protection agency relies on donations and membership dues to pay its bills. The Bahamian government contributes some trivial amount, less than 10% of operating expenses if I recall.

So obviously, the Commonwealth of the Bahamas has very little interest in environmental conservation, or even preventative protection of its key natural resources. Andros was almost completely clear-cut for the cardboard industry, as one poignant example from the not-too-distant past. It's also considered "illegal" to set up alternative energy operations without special permits.

Most *effective* conservation efforts in the country are directed from out of country agencies (i.e. R.E.E.F.) or individuals (i.e. Sam Gruber).

Just signed the petition . Thanks for all the info from yourself and Archman will do my best to pester the BNT. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, see this website: www.restrictbiminibayresort.org you can find there other ways how to help Bimini. Also spread the word about Bimini issue

Well, the educational level in the Bahamas is quite low. The majority of the Commonwealth's citizens stop their education at the equivalent of the U.S. 9th grade level. You can guess how much basic science gets imparted. Most Out-Islands are fortunate to have a single public library.

And that's the problem. Bahamian people should be educated of their natural environment. They should understand that their country is being destroying because it's important to preserve unique natural resourses of the Bahamas for other generation. The question is how to achieve this goal? I think just in small islands of the Bahamas as Bimini is. In Bimini there are such a biological important marine ecosystems and residents are not aware of it...It's a pity! However, BBFS (Sharklab) has also tried to do something for education of Biminites. They've given them a knowledge about the environment and endangered species in the island but I still think that they have a lack of information. There's a need of real educational centre or group of volunteers who will able to educate them regularly. That's my opinion.

The BNT is rather unique in the world, in that it is essentially funded from soft money. That's right, the nation's environmental protection agency relies on donations and membership dues to pay its bills. The Bahamian government contributes some trivial amount, less than 10% of operating expenses if I recall.

I really don't know what I can think about BNT. When you read their website it seems like they are really perfect organization which has done a lot of great things relating to protection of Bahamian environment but I am considering if they choose the region where they are working or where they want to improve enviornmental education because if they really do the things which are written on their site then Bimini is the first place which should be in their attention, isn't it? Bimini is calling for help and they are not listening to this appeal. Why?

So obviously, the Commonwealth of the Bahamas has very little interest in environmental conservation, or even preventative protection of its key natural resources.

I agree and that's the terrible reality. I think that it would be miracle if government awaked and started to do something for environmental conservation!

Blacktip shark:
I really don't know what I can think about BNT. When you read their website it seems like they are really perfect organization which has done a lot of great things relating to protection of Bahamian environment...
It has been my *general* experience that the nicer-looking the website of an NGO, field station, and/or biological reserve, the more full of hot air it is. It's almost like an inverse function.:eyebrow:

Anyway in the Freeport there will be interesting meeting relating to development, environmental destruction in Bahamas etc. See below:

"Save the Bahamas Coalition" Forms!

The Save Guana Cay Reef Association and other like minded Environmental and Local
Rights Groups feel that there is strength in numbers, and if we could create
an organization that could unify our efforts on a national scale we could
all help each other.

Please join us in Freeport for an important event! We want to create a "Save
The Bahamas" NGO.

Save Guana Cay Reef Association, invites you, along with other interested
representatives from the island communities , the scientific community, and
other concerned parties in meeting together to discuss the issues we are all
currently facing. We recognize that the development of mega resorts and the
rampant environmental destruction of our islands is a problem that is
affecting us all. We also realize the issue is a large one that encompasses
the giving away of Crown land, the permitting process and the lack of
consultation with local government by central government and developers.

The time to make a difference is now. This meeting is a terrific chance for
you to voice your concerns, ask questions, and learn what you can do to make
a huge difference.

By opening the lines of communication between people with a shared concern
our ability to affect change grows exponentially. Save Guana Cay Reef has
had tremendous success recently with two favorable rulings in the highest
court in the land, The Privy Council.

We would like to hear your stories. We would like to hear your concerns and
your ideas. We can share our experience and form a very powerful lobbying
group. Let's ride the tide of recent media coverage of this important issue. We can make it work for us! We can change the awful course this unchecked, ill-planned development has set the
Bahamas on!

We have secured a beautiful hotel with discounted rooms at a convenient
location directly adjacent to The Port Lucaya Marketplace! http://www.portlucayamarketplace.com/

September 29th, 30th, October 1st
Freeport, Grand Bahama,

First ever meeting of a multi-island coalition united against destruction of
the environmental, culture, traditions heritage and local rights throughout
the Bahama Islands!

Let's join forces and win. We invite you to attend and help create the most
powerful voice ever in the history of the Bahamas!

For More Details and schedule of events: Contact Save the Bahamas Coalition! at <bahamas_18@hotmail.com>

Soon the developers will be throwing the old affordable housing sham around.

Back
Top Bottom