Please Help with Cancun OW Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wasabi1264

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone...

My wife and I plan to get our OW class and pool training up here in MD and we have a week in Cancun scheduled for 2/19. Originally, we were going to go to Cozumel, because we were putting off our SCUBA training, but now we're stuck with family reservations in Cancun. So now it's impractical to go to Cozumel for the dives. We were going to use BlueXTSea and had we known, we would have made reservations for Cozumel.

Anyway, given that we're stuck a bit, are there any Cancun dive outfits you guys would trust for us to do our OW dives? Also, can cenote dives count as OW dives?

We had a pretty bad experience with Scuba Cancun with the resort course (long story), and I'm concerned because they seemed to be highly regarded.

We were really looking forward to BlueXTSea, because they do private OW dive instruction as a matter of course. If there are no good Cancun places, we'll just put everything off until the next trip.

Thanks!

We did our open water dives with AquaWorld in Cancun, arranged through Palace Resorts. They were a good outfit who was quite attentive through all four dives. The DM had a total of 4 certifying both days. The scenary was ok, I would have to say it was great as our first open water dives! I do not have any experience with anyone else in Cancun, maybe someone else has more to add.

How long will you be staying?
There is a ferry boat that travels
from PlayadelCarmen to Cozumel.

Also if you can't make it fit in your schedule,
then you may want to consider "Aquanauts".
They are located in Puerto Adventuras.

Several of us used them last year as a group,
and they were absolutely great.

Also I had been on several Cenote dive days while there,
and after seeing the purchased video from there
it was the best one as far as quality is concerned.

Aquanauts Dive Rite Tek Center- scuba, cavern diving, dive instruction, retail on the Mexican Caribbean.

The owner is on this board as Diablo Divers.
Dennis is from Canada and speaks fluent English.
If you do decide to book with him,
Let him know that you are a member on "ScubaBoard".

Not sure if Cenotes can be used as OW checkouts
because most cert. agencys have rather strict rules
reguarding training in overhead environments.

Enjoy your vacation,
Dive Safe,
Brian

I think the cenotes I've been diving in in Mexico would be totally inappropriate for OW cert dives. Too bad, because they're very beautiful. Aside from the obvious overhead concerns, cenote diving requires good buoyancy control, and that takes experience.

If you're loaded with cash, you might be able to hire a plane to take you over to Cozumel, or just get up early and take the bus/ferry for the day. But, I bet you can find someone in Cancun who's a good instructor. Actually, it's the dives after cert that I'd want to be in Cozumel for.

Check out Aldora divers. I just came back from Cozumel and used them at the suggestion of a friend. I was very impressed with all aspects of their operation. They went out of there way to accommodate my non diving friends the entire day making their resort open to them offering rides etc... you might want to take the time to check them out. Aldora Divers of Cozumel

Here's a tip for doing your OW in Cancun: Enjoy it and remember that ShotTheBreeze did her OW check out dives in Boston Harbor.

You will hear good and bad about Manta Divers but my sister and her husband did their OW and AOW through manta. I tagged along to watch. We all had a good time.
Manta is in Cancun and inexpensive.

I am going back this Christmas and my wife and I are going to do the Cavern course through Manta in the Cenotes.

You will hear good and bad about Manta Divers but my sister and her husband did their OW and AOW through manta. I tagged along to watch. We all had a good time.
Manta is in Cancun and inexpensive.

I am going back this Christmas and my wife and I are going to do the Cavern course through Manta in the Cenotes.

I went to Cancun in July this year. I planned to use Manta. When I got there, they told me that they were not able to dive until Wednesday (of the next week) because the shop was moving.

I dove with Scuba Cancun in Cozumel, Cancun and Dos Ojos. They picked me up from my hotel and dropped me off everyday, including the ferry to Cozumel and the bus ride to Dos Ojos. They also shot high def undewater video which I purchased at the end of the dive (as a memento).

The guy at Manta apologized profusely, but you don't plan to go to Mexico and not have a plan when you get there. Fortunately Scuba Cancun came through for me.

When I got my OW cert. I did the first two dives in Cancun and the second two in Cozumel. The dive operator (Aquaworld) offered a package where you just show up at their place in Cancun and they bus you to the ferry terminal in Playa. Their dive boat picks you up near the ferry terminal in Cozumel to take you diving. When you are through you take the ferry back and the bus returns you to Cancun. I have to say though it's an all day trip!

So, I think I made my decision, as I posted in another thread. eLearning here, and then pool and OW dives with Ben from M.A.D. He sounds very cool. If I have time, we'll snorkel the cenotes or I might dive while my family snorkels. My wife may or may not do OW this time. If she does, she's going to do pool work here in January, because she feels more comfortable spreading the pool sessions out.

Anyway, I'm very pumped to do this, finally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom